Thread: clay henry

Post clay henry

Does anyone else find themselves humming that "Clay Henry" diddy from the new Subway commercial? It's an amusing ad and a pretty catchy tune. Does anyone know him or what department he's with? I wonder if he lost the weight while on the job or if he lost it to get the job.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

I thought I was the only one!

Don't know a thing about the guy, except that his name is Clay Henry.

That commercial just kills me, too funny. Not sure if hes a real person or somebody the ad execs dreamed up. You never know nowadays.

Lady
    "Let every nation know..that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and the success of liberty"---JFK, Jan.1961

Talking

Hes Henry........clay Henry.....he got real large from burger and fires, now hes down to a smaller size. He gets his might from veggie delite

Forum Member

it has to be a real person al the others are. It is really a good idea. although he seems to have a ahrd time sliding the pole

He's a real firefighter. He works for a Fire District in the Midlands of SC.

Forum Member

I maybe thought he was with LA County or something, has the same helmet as they do, with numbers the same on the engine as well.

Temporarily/No Longer Active

Talking

I'm thinking EastKYFF wrote the little Subway ditty for that commercial.

bke

Thumbs down

Sorry, I'm going to have to go the other way on this one. I thought it was a stupid commercial.
    Also an interesting note, their helmets say 54 and their truck says 75.

Forum Member

bke: You got some support here. Some of the boys at the station last night talked about it majority thought it sucked!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

When I see that commercial, three things come to mind:
    1) Open canopy cab
    2) Riding on the tailboard
    3) Not Clay Henry, but Henry Clay---cigars
    Oh, the memories! Sweeeet!!!
    I get the feeling that you are going to see more firefighters, cops and medics in just about everything the ad agencies have to offer. Not a bad idea; I just hope that they get it right.
    Stay safe.
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Yea, i've been humming that tune too. I noticed riding on the tail board also. But i noticed there as no siren or lights, and they were wearing turn out gear too.... lol, must be going to subway so they put thier gear on
    Jeremy Cross<br />Mid County Fire Dept

Forum Member

bke, the mismatched numbers come from someone not belonging to that department. Probably a reserve rig, and extra gear. It is LACoFD equipment with a SC guy riding it. I at first noticed his name and location on the ad and thought the stuff looked like LACoFD. I don't pay much attention to commercials anyway....
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

That is quite possibly the dumbest commercial on tv. We laughed our a**es off at the firehouse on drill night the first time we saw this. I would be embarrassed to be in a commercial like that...wow! What a joke. NO offense to those that like it, but honestly, singing firefighters on the back of a truck on their way to subway? YIKES!
    Never forget those who went before and sacrified to make us better and stronger as a fire service and a nation. 09-11-01 forever etched in time and our memories. God Speed Boys!

bke

I thought this commercial made FFs look goofy. Some of you might remember a commercial a few years back where FFs jumped off the truck, busted into a house, pulled hose through it, broke all sorts of stuff, and came out the back door to find the family having a barbecue. In my opinion, the Clay Henry ad is the same caliber of stupid.
    BKE
    Proud to be an American.

"No animals were used in the posting of this thread. Two sticks of bubble gum and a hulahoop yes, animals no..."

I just read in the newspaper (Hartford Courant)of a firefighter from Danbury Ct. who is very upset about the commercial. He stated it was .."poor timing" and "It's a poor portrayal of firefighters". I can understand his feelings, but I think it's just a goofy, campy, ad that was not meant to offend anyone. Hey, I just read a Dilbert comic that made remarks about having a beard and linking it to images of homeless people. I hope bearded CEO's don't take offense to that, (or cleanshaven homeless people) Lighten up people!

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool

[ 01-10-2002: Message edited by: FFNOLA ]

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool

Come on guys lighten up some, Like Clay Henry did Its only a commerical and give the kid some credit he lost about what the average person weighs.

Beats that stupid Ford Truck commercial that was out a couple of years ago.
    Althea Forhan
    FDNY 343:"Forever your power and strength stays with me"

Firemen?……………. We don’t shovel coal in a steam engine.
    Firefighters on the back of the engine?………. I remember those days but they are long….gone.
    Subway?………..I thought bread is one thing you are supposed to stay away from when you diet.
    OK, OK, I gave it a try for two weeks….I gained 5 pounds. I think I will try slimfast.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool

I can't stop humming that song either!

Its a funny commercial. That's all you can hope for. There isn't a copyright on the image of a firefighter or cop or medic. Just be glad their not portraying the guy as some revenge crazed arsonist that is a fireman...Oh, yea...they did that already. BACKDRAFT...and everyone loved that stupid movie.

That article that was posted from South Carolina tells his story. He is a vollie down there while is in college at USC. I think he deserves some credit for making the change.

I thought he had problems on the pole, too. The article said it was hard because he had to do 15-20 takes going down the pole. No wonder he looks like he's struggling.
    " The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." - Samuel Johnson

MembersZone Subscriber

There were FIREMEN around long before trains. There still are in lots of places.

[quote]Originally posted by Tower O' Power:
    I just read in the newspaper (Hartford Courant)of a firefighter from Danbury Ct. who is very upset about the commercial. He stated it was .."poor timing" and "It's a poor portrayal of firefighters". I can understand his feelings, but I think it's just a goofy, campy, ad that was not meant to offend anyone. Hey, I just read a Dilbert comic that made remarks about having a beard and linking it to images of homeless people. I hope bearded CEO's don't take offense to that, (or cleanshaven homeless people) Lighten up people!

I'm with Tower. Its a harmless commercial, all in fun.

I think in times like these a little humor is needed. Its not the smartest commercial out there, but who cares.
    "Let every nation know..that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and the success of liberty"---JFK, Jan.1961

MembersZone Subscriber

The commercial is fine, in my opinion, except for the riding of the tailboard. I'm just curious if Clay had any sayso on what to do in the commercial or if Subway already had it "pre-planned". I have no doubt that he brought those "safety" issues to their attention.

Congratulations on your weight loss success, Clay. (If you are reading these postings.) I have one firefighter on my department that is doing the same thing (He's currently over 300 lbs), but using methods other than Subway, & is losing the weight. Being that 1/3 of the LODD in 2001 (36 of 96 excluding the NYC figures caused by Sept 11, 2001) were caused by "heart attacks" or related, I think it helps encourage all of us as firefighters to keep in shape.

Thread Information