Forum Member

Question Disaster Recovery ideas?

I am doing an intership with Tulsa Fire Dept. and I was picked to write a "Disaster Recovery Plan" for HQ which houses Station 1 and administration. Basically this is a contingency plan if the station or HQ is damaged or destroyed by fire, tornado, flood, bombing, etc. I would like to have another depts. similar plan to look at for ideas. Any suggestions would also be appreciated.
    Shawn Clark
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    Tulsa Fire Dept. E-23 "C Platoon"
    I.A.F.F. Local 176
    Tulsa, OK

On the Admin side of the coin, make sure that the computers are backed up either daily or once a week and the backups are stored OFFSITE, as well as a copy of each program that you use in the department, again stored OFFSITE. To move the admin side is kindof easy, all you need is some computers and some office space and away you go. The fireside is different. This part when you write is up should be with differnt amounts of loss. 100% Loss-All equpment, trucks, gear, ect., 50% loss, some gear a truck or two lost, but some still serviceable, and also just station lost, trucks ok, (trucks out on run, station damage/destroyed). Talk to town and see if they might be able to spare a bay in town garage for a truck, and maybe a buisness or two to store a truck here or there untill you get back up on your feet. Keep your options open when writing this plan, and let me know how you make out.

Kyle
    www.chalfontfireco.com
    **My views only**
    Kyle
    www.chalfontfireco.com

Some things to consider:

1) Divide it into short-term recovery and long-term recovery plans. Short-term will probably involve the fire station more than admin, but should focus on what you will have to do in the hours and day's immediately following the event. If the apparatus and gear survive it may be as simple as relocating them to other stations. Long-term will look at what you do while rebuilding is taking place. You probably don't want to leave HQ district uncovered so you will need a place to respond from in that district. ...it may be as simple as a portable building or two.

2) You have to consider replacement gear, apparatus, communications, dispatching ability to a makeshift station, gaps in coverage if you can't put the temporary station back in district 1.

3) If you make plans to use space provided by a private business, make redundant plans....Why? Because if it's a larger scale disaster (flood, tornado, etc...) that space may be effected also and vacant space comes and goes. If you make these plans tomorrow, who's to say the business owner wont be using that space in two years. So use more than one business and spread them out geographically to lessen the risk of them all being effected by a disaster. Just be careful not to spread them out so far that they wont be good choices for a temporary fire station...if someone has an empty barn 30 miles out of town...hmmmm...thanks, but no thanks... Also, make sure your apparatus fits. Using private space is better for short-term...they may not liking you moving a portable builing behind their business for a fire crew and drilling holes in the walls for dispatch speakers, etc..etc..

Forum Member

Thanks for the in-put guys. There is not much information about disaster preplans for fire stations.
    Shawn Clark
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    Tulsa Fire Dept. E-23 "C Platoon"
    I.A.F.F. Local 176
    Tulsa, OK

Thread Information