Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Thread: Close Calls

Exclamation Close Calls

What are some of you close calls, either when responding to a call in Fire Truck or POV. Or close calls on scene at a MVA, woods fires, or house fires, etc......Just want to see what some of us face in a day to day life!

Thanks and Stay Safe,
    Chris Deyerle
    WFD
    Chris Deyerle<br />Emergency Service Officer<br />Civil Air Patrol<br />Alabama 123

It's for real and it's for keep's!! just never forget that.

GOD Bless FDNY and ALL the Lost Brother's and their families.

Dave
    Firefighter
    FTM, PTB, RFB.

Talking

Thanks for that imput ff.1205
    Chris Deyerle<br />Emergency Service Officer<br />Civil Air Patrol<br />Alabama 123

Forum Member

My closest call came during ADO training 3 years ago. We were doing evasive manuevers. I was going a little too fast and took the hard right turn. The truck skipped and tossed and turned. Scared the living hell out of me! Thank goodness I kept the lights on top! Definately something I learned from.

Stay safe,

*Mark

[ 01-10-2002: Message edited by: mark440 ]

FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

My boyfriend's closest call happened when he was ventilating a second story roof. Whoever was in command pulled the ground crew out before they put any water on the fire and didn't notify the roof crew. When he punched a hole in the roof, it was like a jet roaring up at him. When he finally got the order to evacuate, he could tell it was bad, so he slid down the roof ladder to the ground ladder. Just as he reached the eaves, the whole roof dropped in taking the ladders with it. He was seconds away from being a pile of ash.

He was also very close to serious injury when a rookie got carried away breaking windows out of a third floor apartment complex. The kid felt the need to shove an air conditioner out the window without checking below or yelling "clear". It landed less than a foot away from him. You can bet some words were exchanged.

The more he tells me, the more I can see how much your lives depend on eachother's actions. No wonder there's such a strong bond in the fire service. Take care of eachother out there, the "other halves" out here are counting on you too.

Thread Information