Post Flag Flap is Back in Miami

Protestors Upset About Firefighter's Removal
    Fire Department: Investigation Nears Final Stages
    Posted: 11:53 a.m. EST January 9, 2002
    Updated: 2:58 p.m. EST January 9, 2002

MIAMI -- A protest was held this morning outside a South Florida fire station against the removal of a black firefighter.
    Protesters held signs outside fire station 2, located at 6460 N.W. 27th Ave. in Miami. They are upset at the removal of firefighter Willie Latimore -- who's a 17-year veteran -- because other firefighters alleged that he is a risk to their safety.

Luis Fernandez of the Miami-Dade Fire Department released a statement about Latimore.

"Willie Latimore's complaint was sent to an independent review panel in November. That review panel is in its final stages of their investigation. Firefighter Latimore has been working with the Miami-Dade Fire Department for an amicable resolution."

Channel 10 news Miami

Captain 12
    LEGAL INFO: Any and all views I've expressed above and on this site are not representative of my department. They are my personal opinions, comments and views.

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: Captain 12 ]

[ 01-11-2002: Message edited by: Captain 12 ]

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs down

All I have to say to that guy is that we all have to live with our actions. If he doesn't like it he should have thought about it before.
    " The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." - Samuel Johnson

Forum Member

I am unaware of this story, what did he do?

Not being critical Cap, but what does this have to do with a "flag flap"? How is he a hazard to their safety?

RJE

Depending on whose story you believe....

Shortly after 9/11, he refused to ride on a truck displaying the American Flag, disobeyed a direct order from his Captain, and forced the rest of his crew to respond short-handed. Of course, his story is completely different (something about not that it was The Flag, just 'a flag' and it blocking vision? if I remember right).

That's what the investigation by the independent board is about.

Basically, if they say hi disobeyed orders, he's a goner. If he was justified, then he's okay, except all his mates now hate his guts and don't trust him. And - being cynical here - if he gets canned he'll fire various discrimination lawsuits, since he's black and - again if I remember right - a Muslim.

Thread Information