Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking What do firefighters major in?

Hi everyone! im new at this....i just found this on Wednesday....and i was just wondering...what do most firefighters major in in college or what do they do after they complete high school?

Cool

Most firefighters that I know of in this area don't have any degree. I am working towards a B.S. in Law Enforcement and Criminal Justice, but I'm also only a volunteer on a small rural F.D. (25 runs last year). I only know of a couple of FF that have a degree in anything.

MembersZone Subscriber NCRSQ751's Avatar

There are schools that offer Associates and Bachelors in Fire Protection Technology. You can also get degrees in Public Administration etc if you want to be management. Best bet is to contact your local community college and see what they have available in your area.

Personally I have a BA in Management and Art History.

[ 01-10-2002: Message edited by: NCRSQ751 ]

Susan Lounsbury
    Winston-Salem Rescue Squad
    Griffith Volunteer FD

FFighter86~
    I went to college, got my business degree and had the time of my life for 4..well, 4 1/2 years. I studied in Italy for a semester then traveled around Europe with my best friend, lived with more people my age than i ever will again and had the time of my life.
    I volunteered at a dept my junior and senior year and got hired by a diff. dept. a few months after graduation. My point is, live life before you settle down with your career. The fire service isn't going anywhere but your youth is, enjoy it!
    And i would get a degree other than fire science. It's a great degree to have and im going to get mine, but going into an interview you are selling yourself. Give them the most well rounded product- be someone that can offer the dept. something unique. And have a degree that you can fall back on if you need to. You never know, you may change your mind, get seriously injured, etc. and you dont want to hang yourself out there with a degree than no-one but the fire service wants.
    I dont know, you have to decide for yourself, but that's the route that I took and i have no regrets. Whatever you do, good luck and keep us posted.
    try it you'll like it

I have a BA in history...thought I wanted to teach before I discovered the fire service. After subbing for a few years, I've found that fighting fires is a bit less stressful.

RJE

Then there's those of us who are weird.

I joined as a jr. at 14, probie at 16, full FF1 at 18. Then used tuition reimbursement to get an associates degree in Fire Science - and an EMT-A cert - from the local JuCo before I was 20. Then I went off to college to get a degree in Chemistry.

1-1/2 yrs. later, I was married, three more and I was in the Navy - as a Data Processing Tech, not a "damage control technician" which is the 'official' FFs in the Navy.

7 yrs after that (w/2 kids) I went BACK to school, and 3 yrs after that I now have BS and MS in Computer Science and Math, and an MBA.

Of course, I haven't held a fire hose since I left the Navy, either - I now work in an office 8-5 as a computer programmer, and own a 1/3 interest in a trucking company on the side.

So do what your heart tells you... you never know where you'll end up.

MembersZone Subscriber asaffell's Avatar

I have a degree in Nursing.
    I got this after working part-time in the ER as an EMT & Paramedic (on my days off from the fire station) & realizing I was doing the same job the RNs were doing for half the pay. This initially kept me out of the lawnmowing business (lots of TX FF do this part-time).It was extra money but has since become needed income now that my wife (worked as a Certified Public Accountant) is disabled with a neurological disease.
    We (my wife & I) feel the decision to get the Nursing degree was purely God directing us in this direction. All this was before my wife came down with ANY S/S of the disease. God was watching over my family then & continues to bless us.
    Saffell
    1 Corinthians 1:18
    For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

Lightbulb

I have an AAS in Criminal Justice
    BS in Fire Science Administration
    BS in Arson Investigation
    MA in Political Science

If I could do it again, I would have done Fire Protection Engineering since the job market seems to be better for that field. Or I would've done what all of my friends did and become a teacher (summers off!)....

Forum Member

Cool

I have a degree in History and English. I love firefighting, but it is a dangerous job and if I get injured, I wanted something to fall back on. The English degree has been benificial to me on the job. I can write a good grant, BS the city council and tell them to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.LOL
    Craig Walker

Union Strong...Union Proud

An Irishman is the only person in the world who would walk over 12 naked women to get to a bottle of Stout.

Im currently working on a BS in Fire Admin.
    not sure if im gonna take another degree, kinda want to maybe criminal justice or somthing in that area

I went the circuitous route. I joined the Corps. started school 5 weeks after I hit my permanent duty station towards an associates in Fire Science. When I was discharged I had to take 4 classes to complete it. I now have it, have been certified as a Paramedic and am taking my last 2 classes towards an associates in Paramedic Technology. At the same time, for the last year I have been taking classes for a Bachelor's in Fire Science. I have a year left for that. I think I will get a master's but I'm not sure in what. There are a few good routes out there. I figure I have the G.I. Bill so I might as well keep getting educated before it runs out.

I do have to agree with the prior statement about making sure this is what you want to do. Make sure you get what you want. Management is always good if you wnat to move up in the ranks. Th tough part is that there are so many cool jobs out there that it can be really tough to decide where you want to go.

I have a BS in education. I thought that I wanted to be a teacher until I figured out that 8-10 hours inside a room filled with 30 kids was more pressure and stress than I wanted. It was a great 4 yrs in college, you learn more than what you are reading. Hit the college scene hard because after the fire department it is nice to have a fall out plan. Besides, nobody can ever take an eduaction away from you. Believe me you will remember your college days forever. Good Luck.

I have a BS in social science and am currently working on my masters in industrial and organizational psychology

Thanks everyone....your replies really made an impact on me....especially Cakes&Bowls. Thanks for all your comments. Maybe I will into Ministry before Firefighting.
    Well thanks again everyone!

I began my college time as an Emergency Health Services Major, but changed it to Developmental Psychology. It was a broad degree that provides the base for a bunch of fields.
    I am now working towards my Masters of International Business through the University of Phoenix.
    The psychology stuff comes in handy as an officer, and the business stuff prepares me for the day when I may go into the administration side of things.

This may sound wierd but most dept's dont want a bunch of people with fire related degrees. They need various skill sets. I would study management, math, chemistry, or physics. Teaching certs are a plus as well and many depts are expanding IS/IT capabilities....Good luck

B.Sc. in Geography.

BS in bovine scatology is what the vast majority of firefighters major in whether they go to school or in OJT.
    It's only my opinion. I do not speak for any group or organization I belong to or associate with or people I know - especially my employer. If you like it, we can share it, you don't have to give me credit. If you don't, we are allowed to disagree too (but be ready to be challenged, you may be on to something I'm not). That's what makes America great!

Talking

How about a Masters from UHK (University of Hard Knocks), a working man's PHD, and currently working on a Associates in Fire Science.

joejoe33

Comments and opinions are mine and do not represent the agency or IAFF local that I am affiliated with.

..have a BA in Political Science and am a MA candidate in international public policy...

Ya know...
    Maryland has a BS and MS in Fire Engineering....
    My opinions only.

AGS-SGA 091101

Thread Information