Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post SQUADING OUT AN ENGINE

OK, solid topic here I think. What tools would you add to the regular engine tool complement to consider it as a squad? What tools are essential to giving an engine the ability to do truck work? What tools would be nice to have, but aren't a neccessity? Let me define squad...I'm using the FDNY definition, meaning trained to handle both engine and truck duties, sort of a wild card on the fire scene.

Well my engine is Semi-Squad. It is set up as a typical engine with water and CAFS. But it carries a roof saw, and also a electric K-12 type saw and ground ladders. We also have a Powerhawk Jaws system, for LIGHT rescue and to asst. our rescue company if need be. It can be seen on the website at Norwood Fire Dept. it's a 2001 Pierce Lance 10 man cab.
    This is your brain... Pierce
    This is your brain on drugs... E-One

in addition to the engine equt i would have a combo tool, air bags, ram, hand tools, ems gear, saws (k12 and sawzall) imager, basic truckie gear....bottom line, take what you will need to do all the jobs expected but dont overload your rig! best of luck

MembersZone Subscriber TruckSkipper's Avatar

The most important thing is to have five or six well trained, physically fit firefighters and an officer. Without them the rig may as well stay home.
    DKK
    Truck Man
    APFD
    IAFF Local 384:

"Above all, an assignment to a truck company should be considered a promotion."

Chief John W. Mittendorf-1998

7tuwer, promise me that was a joke?

the7tuwer that must be one bigass truck...I am not sure we have all that equipment on our ladder

REMEMBER K.I.S.S.(Keep It Simple Stupid)
    Bars,hooks,sledges,saws(w/all type blades),
    vice-grips w/no less then 6' of chain attached,
    rope (utility &life),lock-pullers,therm-camera,
    a good tool box,a few salvage covers,a cutting
    torch,lots of wedges (on yourself & rig),
    handie-talkies for everyone, & lastly & most
    importantly:A well trained & experienced crew w/
    good bosses!

Too much more & your bordering on being a "wanna-
    be" Truck &/or Rescue Co.

Just my 97-cents short of a $1.oo worth of Misc.

My point is why would you carry all that equipment on one truck. What if it goes out of service. How many of these trucks do you have? Do have a large tax base? What kind of water supply are you using to flow 7 attack lines and two remote deck guns? Where do you store a large water tank and 7 ground ladders. I can understand different setups depending on what kind of calls you get but geez your truck sounds like over kill.

Temporarily/No Longer Active

THE WAY IT WAS DONE IN NY,FULL COMPLIMENT OF TRUCK TOOLS. ALSO CONFINED SPACE EQUIP. HIGH ANGLE EQUIP. RIGGING EQUIP.AND A SEPERATE RIG (BREAD TRUCK) FULL OF HAZ MAT EQUIP. THE SQUADS CARRY ALMOST ALL THE TOOLS A HEAVY RESCUE WOULD CARRY. THE MEMBERS ARE TRAINED IN THE SAME CLASSES THE RESCUE COMPANIES ARE.

OK, lets talk forcible entry. To get access past most of the locks out there today, what am I gonna need? I want to be able to open most every lock out there, but I also don't want 50 tools...gimme 5 tools you would want in order to get past every fence and door out there today.

I probably shouldn't join this bickering, but I'm going to anyway. I did not see dual ladder racks on any of those engines, nor did I see 8 ground ladders. I saw perhaps 3. And do ya really need those fancy fold-out steps to help drag yourself out of your Cadillac cab?

Better make sure you have that hose clamp readily available. Anytime ISO comes around here thats one of their main concerns. HAIL HAIL THE 7TUWER, THE KING OF THE EXTERIOR ATTACK !
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

Here Ya'Go 117,

Try this link for the trucks 7tuwer is talking about.

http://www.geocities.com/Baja/Trails/6658/pics.html

Takes a while to load...About 600 pictures to look at.

By the way... Whats a tuwer????

Jim

Boy, someone is a little touchy!!

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Hey larry, Oops the7tuwer,

What fire department are you on these days?

Just curious.

Thanks for the info.

FyredUp

If you don't want to say on the boards you could e-mail me and I will keep it confidential.
    “The person who risks nothing, does nothing, has nothing, is nothing, and becomes nothing. He may avoid suffering and sorrow, but he simply cannot learn and feel and change and grow and love and live.” Leo F. Buscaglia

This place gets weirder and weirder every day...

MembersZone Subscriber

Angry

(Note: I have deleted all my off-topic comments and invite others to do so also. I'll be glad to resume a discussion of anything off this topic via e-mail or private message.)

Moe Collins
    Probationary Firefighter/EMT
    Washington Twp. Fire & Rescue
    Toledo, OH

[ 01-13-2002: Message edited by: WTFD FF 10 ]

I knew I could get you to crawl out of your hole. I dont recall ever mentioning any fire department.YOU my man,are what we all aspire to be.Its funny that State Farm dosent even use ISO ratings anymore. My problem with you is that there is no room for argument with you in any aspect of firefighting and fire politics. You talk down to firefighters who may not have the latest in floodlight technology but who fight fires more then most of us do.But then again, YOU are the expert. Firefighters put out fires. Fire engines only assist in the process. I will take one of your so called "freelancing" firefighters with a garden hose anyday, over some wise-*** know-it all who has an answer for everything.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

YEP.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

DAMMIT bitches! Cut your bitching! I just wanted to talk about a piece that can do engine and truck work, and it turns into "As the World Turns"!? Shut the F*** up, and be grown up for once. I come on this forum to get away from the petty BS politics and get real answers. Unfortunately, you guys are too busy berating each other to even discuss the topic you are talking in. You SUCK.

MembersZone Subscriber

CIFD88, You're right and I apologize for going off topic. I have edited my first post and deleted my off-topic comments. I let my Irish temper get the better of me My e-mail is available for anyone that wants to continue our off topic b*tchin'

Now on to my questions,

My department is going to be replacing our "heavy" rescue in the next couple of years and a rescue-engine is a hot topic of debate.

How much more expensive is a rescue-engine than a standard engine? I realise it's going to vary by manufacturer but does anyone have any ballpark figures?

For those that run rescue-engines, do you find that equipment storage is a major problem or can you carry just as much as a regular type squad can?

To clarify, I am interested in rescue-engines similar to the Pierce that Kentland has or the FDNY Squads. Anything bigger would be too large for our area's streets.

Moe Collins
    WTFD Probie
    Toledo, OH

Thread Information