MembersZone Subscriber
    Still looking for Waldo. Have you seen him?

Post American Flag Patches for Turnout Coat

I'm looking for an American Flag patch that will be acceptable to put on the shoulder of my turnout coat.

Does anybody know anywhere to get one that is Nomex or another material that will be compliant for the outside of a coat?

MembersZone Subscriber

The members of my department that have American flags sewn onto their coats have used standard flag patches sewn on with Nomex thread; you shouldn't have any problems with this method, and to my knowledge "special" patches for protective clothing don't exist.

Some folks comment that sewing a patch onto a coat will compromise it's integrity, however, every coat has reflective trim sewn on, not to mention the increased popularity of sewing our names on the backs with reflective lettering. I don't think a patch on the shoulder is any different. As with anything sewn onto gear, just make sure the stiching only goes through the outer shell and not the vapor barrier.

Thumbs up

IN&up I agree with Euitts said. I to have just a standard patch from your uniform store.
    I had mine sewn on at the local seamstress for about $5.00. just 2 things don't sew into the moisture barrior and also "some people don't know"the stars alway are closest to your heart. Patches come in left and right hand patterns.

good luck stay safe
    wsfiremn
    FTH PTB FSU RFB 911

I have had a standard patch on my coat for 3 years now and been in many live fire trainings and have had no trouble.

Thread Information