Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
    Sta22BeaverCoPA
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Burning VCR Tapes

My department responded to a basement fire. On arrival found grey to black smoke coming from the structure. Inside structure was heavy black smoke, when they reached the basement they found a fire in corner of room involving television, vcr, tapre rewinder and approximately 150-200 tapes fully involved. Extinguishment was with approximately 75 gallons of water.
    Question is: What are the hazards involved with these products burning, especially the tapes as they were the bulk of the fire ?

Side Effects to the firefighters were headaches, sinus irritation, coughing. Yes, we did have our SCBA's on.

Is there anywhere on the net to get info on this. Oh yes the other thing we found is our gear won't come clean with in house washing, they will have to be sent out.

--------------------

MW

Beaver~
    Did you guys wear your scba's during overhaul? That's a big deal especialy in a basement b/c they are finding out that most contaminates are still around even when you cant see or smell them.
    try it you'll like it

Forum Member

I would be willing to bet that it was the plastics. The tapes are pretty close to PVC type piping. When PVC burns it gives off a cyanide gas. The contaminents were probably still very much present in the smoke eminating from the house and during the overhaul phase. Just my guess. I don't know about the PPE.

Stay safe,

*Mark
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

Thread Information