Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Angry Something to hold sprinkler head plugs...

Hey everybody,
    After a few encounters with flowing sprinkler heads recently I've decided I need to start carrying a few wooden sprinkler head plugs like I was taught to years ago. My problem is, how do people carry them on their helmet? I've seen some FF's in larger department's with them held on their helmets by what appears to be big rubber bands or something of the sort...anyone know more specific info? Much thanks

Forum Member

go to the fire store they have them there

Go to your local tire shop and ask for a light duty truck tire tube, or a lawn tractor tire tube. Cut the tube into sections approximately 1-inch wide, you should be able to get 10-15 bands out of a lawn tractor tube. I paid about $2 for the tube, if you go to the fire store you will pay $3 for one band.
    Good luck.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

no longer with 126, but can't find where to edit this thing above

Cool

If you have a traditional style helmet, stick them behind your shield. Also, if you have a salad bowel, it is difficult to keep the band on your helmet.

Leather Forever
    Just my 2 cents....3 before taxes

Fir Na Tine

When I first started carrying them on my helmet, I had them behind a rubber band (made from an inner tube - the only true way ). Well, I discovered they wound up being a pain in the rear cuz they usually pulled the rubber band with it. I now stick them behind the shield.

thefirestore.com has what they call the "Wack Pack" its a rubber band and a set of door chocks/sprinkler head stoppers. i happen to put the one i carried, until i left it on a scene, in the outside pocket of my turnout coat. my N5A has no rubber strap on it and i dont think its needed.
    Member IACOJ & IACOJ EMS Bureau
    New England FOOL
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    As always these are strictly my own opinions and views

The only two things I keep under the rubber band are an el-cheapo disposable flashlight that my department buys a big box of and a window punch. I decided to keep the window punch there because the one time I went to use it, I realized it was a big pain in the rear to get out of my coat pocket...

Yeah the firestore has I think 1 in. bands for $3, great for leathers. but yeah I keep a Garrity light and 2 wooden wedges behind my band. Also at the fire you can rubber ones, its a hard rubber.
    On my old salad bowl my band fit great until I got a leather so whatever works.
    "Go in as a team, Come out as a team"

Thread Information