Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

In SC, fire & ems run red lights, including on POV's. One of the vollies at a station I used to be assigned to had a full sized Jetsonic red and white light bar on his truck. he got stopped somewhere up in the northeast going home one Christmas, and even when he explained to the Trooper why he had it on his truck, the Trooper made him drive to the local State Police office and remove the lightbar from his truck. A bit extreme, but it followed the letter of the law.

In another light problem, law enforcement here uses blue lights. Back when I dispatched, the center I worked for provided dispatch services for several local PD's. One night, one of our small town officers attempted to stop an out of state car on the Interstate for about double the posted limit. After a 15 minute chase, the car finally pulled over. When the driver of the car was asked " Didn't you see the blue lights and hear the siren?" he said " Yeah pal...I figured you were some crazy As$ vollie fire nut." He ended up with a healthy ticket, because as you all know...ignorance of the law is no excuse.

If you have lights and are traveling...you really need to check into the laws of the states you will be driving in.

While on the side of the road is no place to try and educate someone.

One previous poster state "blue lights as alowed by law" Well it's called recipical agreements. That mean if your vehicle and it's equipment is legal in your state it's legal as you travel.

To say otherwise would mean if you are from a state that only uses a rear licens plate but travel to a state that uses front and rear they can write you. I think not. Another good example would be window tinting. What is allowed varies widely state by state. I travel a great deal and never have had any problems. I do have state issued FD tags on my truck

In response to TRK4, actually, that sort of reciepcal thing doesn't affect lights on vehicles like license plates. How do I know? My partner at work has a blue/blue Dashmiser, and went up to a few miles north of Galena, IL into Wisconsin and had a ..... altercation with a WSP trooper. Never. Ever. Make. One. Of. Them. Mad. I've heard horror storries about WSP.

Anyways, back on the subject, they can, and will ticket you for having illegal light colors. Why? If you don't have a front plate in Illinois, then most cops here won't care. People aren't going to cause problems because they don't have a front plate.

Red/Blue/InsertColorHere lights however, vary from state to state. If I pull up behind you in IL with a red light, you better pull over and prepare for a ticket. If I pull up behind you in my car with my blue light, pfft, it's a courtesy light (so everyone thinks.. it's not defined under IL law. :>). People can cause problems with the wrong colored lights.

I personally use a Whelen Flatlighter strobe and a pair of wig-wag headlamps. Unless you look inside my car to see the strobe on the visor when it's folded up, or open my hood to see the flasher, you'd never know I had 'em.

Who's fault is it when you have a MX99999 with death ray intersectors? Ignorance is no excuse.

TRK-4: I don't want to turn this into a police-fire ****ing match, but I beg to differ. Where else would you like me to inform people that they are in violation of law than on the side of the road? This mentality is typical... I catch more flack over warnings... and the only complaints I've received were after issuing warnings.

ESDA-20 is absolutely right and there's no comparison between plate and blue lights... and if your tint is illegal in NC, your tint is illegal in NC. Likewise with blue lights.

Forum Member

Again being from Illinois window tint is illegal on the doors, but if you are from another state it is accepted, it is permanent so how can you say take it off while you are in this state.
    Likewise with my lights they are all wired direct to the battery, cold day in hell before I would take them out of my car to please a law in another state I would pay the ticket. But, in interest of not getting a ticket I have enough wire that my dash light can come down and my deck lights can be turned so you can not see the lights at all, that crap about it being in a package is B.S.
    Proud to be IACOJ Illinois Chapter--Deemed "Crustworthy" Jan, 2003

MFF: That's all I'm saying... yank it off the dash.

AND it's not a matter of paying a ticket. It is a matter of getting handcuffed, arrested, taken to jail, bonded, and coming back for a mandatory court appearance or hiring an attorney to represent you. That's tough if your think it's BS. Do you think it's BS for your state to prohibit me to have red lights? If anyone gave me that attitude when I stopped them, there's no doubt in my mind they'd be charged.

Oh, and if really don't like it, and YOU don't want to remove them, I CAN.

[ 01-17-2002: Message edited by: obx-emt ]

[quote]Originally posted by obx-emt:

AND it's not a matter of paying a ticket. It is a matter of getting handcuffed, arrested, taken to jail, bonded, and coming back for a mandatory court appearance or hiring an attorney to represent you. That's tough if your think it's BS. Do you think it's BS for your state to prohibit me to have red lights? If anyone gave me that attitude when I stopped them, there's no doubt in my mind they'd be charged.

Oh, and if really don't like it, and YOU don't want to remove them, I CAN.

You are exactly the type of person who gives LEO's everywhere a bad name. How does this contribute positively to the quality of life of anyone, anywhere? Aren't we supposed to work together?

Stay Safe

MembersZone Subscriber Medic162's Avatar

Man oh Man, like I said in my original posting - this sure has heated up. I also dread the "****ing contest" between cops and firefighters (especially when occasionally they are one in the same!), but I in my perfect world believe this - Any law enforcement official, short of the newby golden child, would reciprocate the same attitude he is afforded. If you've got a dashlight in your vehicle that is not publicly displayed, and you politely identify yourself as a FF or paramedic from another jurisdiction, I would lay a paycheck on said official giving you a brief education on local policies. If on the other hand, you greet him with colorful attitude and remarks pertaining to his mother, chances are(at least where obx is from)you'll get to visit with Otis at the pokey. I can't imagine the first person in this example actually having a true legal problem develop.
    Brian Rowe
    Paramedic/Engineer
    Colleton County Fire/Rescue

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm very interested in the perspective from the police officers in this forum on how they would handle the situation where a person's car has emergency lights which are legal in their home state but not in the state that the car and the officer are currently in.

My personal experience is this: I have a red/white MX7000 on my personal vehicle. It's permanently mounted since it's a full sized bar. This is legal in Ohio, my home state. Kentucky also uses red lights for their volunteer fire/EMS personnel. I frequently drive in KY and never been stopped or questioned there. Indiana uses blue for their volunteer fire personnel and green for their volunteer EMS. I used to live near the IN border and frequently drove in Indiana and again was never stopped or questioned - though about 15 years ago there were stories of local Indiana LEO's telling Ohio personnel to cover their lights. To the best of my knowledge, Ohio officers don't stop the Indiana personnel, even though blue is reserved for police in Ohio.

I was asked once by a city cop in Ill, which apparently reserves red for cops, to show ID that I was on an FD, but he was very polite and and just asked if I were going to be in their area long or just passing through. He made no request for me to remove or cover the lights. I've also driven the same car in TN, PA, NJ, MD, IA, KS, etc. and never been stopped. I don't even know what the laws are in those states.

My assumption is that officers do have some discretion on how to handle these situations, whether you call it professional courtesty, or whatever. Is that correct?

Another question - since many of us live in states which border Canada and occasionally vacation there, what are the rules for having emergency lights on your vehicle if you are driving in Canada? Canadian forum members - do you know?

Thanks.
    Proud to be honored with IACOJ membership. Blessed by TWO meals cooked by Cheffie - a true culinary goddess. Expressing my own views, not my organization's.

As a future LEO (soon as I complete testing, woohoo, Indiana State Police here I come!), I honestly personally could care less if you have the "wrong" color light on your dash if you're passing through. I most certainly would feel the need to pull you over to make sure you aren't a individual with alterior motives, smile, pat you on the shoulder, and make a recommendation that you remove the lights from view if possible. I think just about any cop, save for those who are A) Really bored, B) Really Cranky will let you go with a warning.

Like the other poster said, if you greet the trooper with insults about him, his mother, and the family livestock in colorful language, well, you get what you deserve.

The only place that I've seen blue lights really have an adverse effect on a situation was at K-Mart!!! Take'em off and place them in the dumpster behind the firehouse. I've seen blue lights on cars in PA that were so big, when they were turned on, the car actually spun.

MembersZone Subscriber

[quote]Originally posted by TRK4:
    While on the side of the road is no place to try and educate someone.

One previous poster state "blue lights as alowed by law" Well it's called recipical agreements. That mean if your vehicle and it's equipment is legal in your state it's legal as you travel.

To say otherwise would mean if you are from a state that only uses a rear licens plate but travel to a state that uses front and rear they can write you. I think not. Another good example would be window tinting. What is allowed varies widely state by state. I travel a great deal and never have had any problems. I do have state issued FD tags on my truck

You don't have the slightest idea what you are talking about. Thelicense plate issue is not the same as the light. The light would be an equipment violation, and in some states apparently, a crime.

In NJ, I don't care if your vehilce is registered on the moon, tinted front windows will buy you a ticket.

Congratulations, PA Volunteer. The anti-cop attitude continues. What would you have obx do, NOT enforce a law? Or only not enforce it when the stop is a Volly? I didn't see him say that he would write a ticket, I saw him write that he would be disposed to write it if he came up against someone with a BS attitude and thought that he was being overzealous and then copped an attitude...oh wait a minute! That's you.

You guys need to grow up. Just cover the light.

[ 01-18-2002: Message edited by: George Wendt, CFI ]

PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

[quote]Originally posted by George Wendt, CFI:

Congratulations, PA Volunteer. The anti-cop attitude continues. What would you have obx do, NOT enforce a law? Or only not enforce it when the stop is a Volly? I didn't see him say that he would write a ticket, I saw him write that he would be disposed to write it if he came up against someone with a BS attitude and thought that he was being overzealous and then copped an attitude...oh wait a minute! That's you.

You guys need to grow up. Just cover the light.

Sorry George, once again, no anti-cop sentiment here (outside of anti this obx guy, whoever he is). Yes, I am anti someone who is on such a childish power trip as to say something like,

"Oh, and if really don't like it, and YOU don't want to remove them, I CAN."

Have you never heard of complying with the spirit of the law as opposed to the letter of the law? The spirit of the blue-light law in whatever state doesn't allow them is to keep freaks from driving around with an illuminated blue-light and impersonating a police officer or whatever else. If someone is driving through whatever state, on vacation, with his family, and happens to have a blue-light on his car - which incidently is used to help serve his community - what is the freakin' point in pulling him over? What is the point in saying,

"Oh, and if really don't like it, and YOU don't want to remove them, I CAN."

Explain that to me George. Please, we'd all like to hear it. Explain how it makes sense that, most likely, a traffic cop "enforcing the law" (as you say) by pulling over someone with a blue light, would miss who knows how many maniacs doing 90 in a 65 MPH zone. Explain it, please.

Finally, how is it anti-cop to say that this obx guy is giving cops a bad name. Oh, sorry, is it more undertone and insinuations? How is it a "BS attitude" and "over-zealous" to say that obx is giving cops a bad name when he is on some power trip? Explain that one too George. Maybe you should change your title to "George Wendt, internet forum psycho-analyst."

Stay Safe

Forum Member

Angry

Alright...listen up, people...

1. I am not a cop. I am a vollie. I like cops, vollies (and career guys, too) all just fine.

2. I understand that the privledge (note...I didn't say "right", because it isn't) of using lights on my POV extends only as far as the PA state line.

3. I consider it my responsibility to comply with the laws of other states when I'm driving in them, and I expect all of you to do the same when you're driving in mine.

4. If I left my blue lights enabled and exposed when I crossed into a state where they were illegal, I'd expect to get cited and I wouldn't argue it.

5. Those of you out there who think you have some f---ing God-given right to tool around doing whatever you please regardless of the law just because somebody handed you a membership card, a badge and some turnout gear need to adjust your attitude. You're making us all look like idiots, and it is not appreciated.

There. I've put in my $0.02, even though I promised myself that I'd stay out of this thread.

That is all.

Well I too should have not gotten invovled in this But OBX-EMT. When I said on the side of the road was no place for it. (I am a former law enforcement officer and on the side of the road would show your uniform all the respect it deserves) I ment that was not the place to debate the issue with a law enforcement officer. Take the ticket and argue in court Thats why there are cops and Then there are judges. See you translated and and interpitated something (side of the road is not place to educate someone) which is the same with the law thats why we have judges.

Now what is that you were saying about Typical Mentality.

Question would a vehicle from a state that has no state inspection requirments that travels to NC be in violation for not having a valid state inspection? I am not saying that front tags or window tint or state inspection are the same as a Lights on a POV. But when a state agrees with another state to let legaly equiped and liscensed vehicles from another state travel on travel on their highways and honer other states drivers license as being valid.

All I am saying is this if your state has an agreement on vehicles and drivers license with other states and and all 50 do. The agreements do not say we we agree but. Things like lights, window tint state inspection. county stickers are all under part of that agreement.

But it's not a cops job to decide. It's his job to issue a citation that brings it before a judge to decide. Or if you really want to know write a letter Attorney Generals and get a ruling.

Some of you are taking this to heart and missing the point!

1.) I beleive that "professional courtesy" would be demonstarted by everyone respecting the laws of the states they visit and pulling off or covering lights as appropriate when visiting.

2.) My original question was "what would happen if my red lights were viewed by LEO up north?" Therefore, would I get pulled over?

PAVOLUNTEER: My comments were directed to MFF who thought this was an infraction. I don't plan on charging anyone with this, but letting them know it is lllegal. If I warned and saw the same vehicle later, I would charge. My point was if this was charged, it could not be on a citation... Oh and that "anti obx huy whoever he is" comment was kinda overboard considering you don't know me. I'm asking a legitimate question and was hoping for legitimiate answers.

My point in the "I CAN" statement was that if someone refused point-blank to remove or cover a light, they would be charged and the light taken.

Most officers will tell you that when they have already issued or decided to issue a warning and the person stopped gets what a local A.L.E. Agent calls "a case of the ***", that decision can quickly be reconsidered.

Oh and what was the power hungry ego trip thing about? You're too good to comply with other state's laws?

The LAST THING I WANTED was for this to be cop vs. fireman, I'm both, and we're on the same side. Thought I put that disclaimer in by the way I started the original post.

Wow these Light forums really do make me laugh. Look lets all face it --- If you are travling out of your state take the light off the roof, dash, or if it's permenatley mounted {Why I'll never understand} Than cover it up. ~ The law enforcement officers in those states that we may be visiting have more important things to do than waste their time pulling us over and telling us that a certian color light isn't legal. ~ There just isn't a need to have it displayed when you travel out of state
    ***The Opinions expressed here are strictly my own and do not reflect those of the Department to which I am a Member ! ***

Stratford Fire Co. # 1.."Any Job ~ Any Place ~ Any Time"

Check us Out www.stratfordfire.com

Forum Member
    World's largest open-air insane asylum... Santa Cruz CA

My one experience with this issue was when I was a vollie in PA. Had an S&W pancake light on the dash of my car.

I was in MD, visiting my then-fiancee, and a Maryland State trooper pulled me over. He advised me of MD law regarding blue lights and asked me to cover it or take it off the dash. No muss, no fuss, no problem. I took it off the dash, we shot the breeze for a minute, and all was well.

OBX has a responsibility to enforce the laws of his state. We have a responsibility to obey the laws of whatever jurisdiction we happen to be in. Is that so difficult?

"When in Rome..."
    Remember the brothers... FDNY 9/11/01

FTM-PTB-EGH-RFB-KTF

I.A.C.O.J. for LIFE!

Forum Member

Wow!!

Such a todo about lights? I'll throw my 1 1/2 cents in the ring...In WI you cannot have lights on a personal vehicle. Red, green, blue or purple. Unless.......you have a siren and 2-way communication. The exception is yellow (like your directional) A tow truck will have a yellow light bar.
    Mark Carlson

firefighter's find 'em hot and leave 'em wet!

obx, sorry, I guess I took one statement out of context and ran away with it. So, you have my apologies. And, you're absolutely right, I don't know you, thus, I withdraw my statements.

I just don't understand why a cop would bother pulling someone with a blue light over (see my scenario regarding missing speeders, etc.). I would never suggest that a cop should not enforce the law. However, at the same time, I would beg that people consider the spirit of the law vs. the letter of the law. That's all.

Stay Safe

Thread Information