Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Let's look at only a piece of PA's rambling for a moment.

>>Explain that to me George. Please, we'd all like to hear it. Explain how it makes sense that, most likely, a traffic cop "enforcing the law" (as you say) by pulling over someone with a blue light, would miss who knows how many maniacs doing 90 in a 65 MPH zone. Explain it, please.

Finally, how is it anti-cop to say that this obx guy is giving cops a bad name. Oh, sorry, is it more undertone and insinuations? How is it a "BS attitude" and "over-zealous" to say that obx is giving cops a bad name when he is on some power trip? Explain that one too George. Maybe you should change your title to "George Wendt, internet forum psycho-analyst."<<<

First of all, more anti-cop sentiment in that "most likely a traffic cop" statement. It insinuates that a "traffic cop" is a lower form of law enforcement officer. It is not and is prbably the backbone of the law enforcement community. Secondly, if an officer makes a stop and is enforcing the law, it is not his fault if other violations occur while he is doing his job and writing the ticket. It is the offenders. BTW; Professional courtesy cannot be demanded or expected. It is extended by the law enforcement officer using his discretionary judgement.

Second of all, obx has given no indication that he is on a power trip. He has given all indication that he is an honest cop who will do the right thing, that is try to get people to obey the law. He has also shown that if he is forced to, he is not afraid to utilize his consititutional power to enforce it when he has to. I saw your apology. Too little too late.

It is not a power trip to enforce the law. It is not a power trip to use the statutory tools at my disposal to compel a reluctant or beligerant driver to obey the law, especially when he knows better and has been given the option to do so voluntarily. obx sounds like my kind of cop. My Captain has a quote on his wall which reads in part; "He was a good cop, with a heart and brains". Sounds like obx.

As I said before PA, you are an angry, angry individual. I would love to know the experience you have had with a cop that has made you hate us so.

PS: Bob Snyder is my hero.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

i live in maryland and the first five officers of the company can have redlights and firepolice for traffic control,i live a small town and the only thing we can use is fourway flashers and highbeams but the police officers really don't like it,we have a problem with are city police going to are calls and calling centeral to have the fire company to disreguard they have everything under control,anyone else have this problem? FTM-PTB-EGH

MembersZone Subscriber

[quote]Originally posted by brother hoot:
    i live in maryland and the first five officers of the company can have redlights and firepolice for traffic control,i live a small town and the only thing we can use is fourway flashers and highbeams but the police officers really don't like it,we have a problem with are city police going to are calls and calling centeral to have the fire company to disreguard they have everything under control,anyone else have this problem? FTM-PTB-EGH

Dude, try the spell check.

Gee, I wonder why the cops don't like it when you use four-way flashers (designated to indicate a stationary hazard on the roadway) and your high beams (absolutely a misuse of the lights...and no, I don't like the flashing high beams on PD cars either. I believe it is a hazard to oncoming traffic).

Maybe the cops are tired of telling you children to use your lights as they were designed and to obey the law.

[ 01-21-2002: Message edited by: George Wendt, CFI ]

PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

I remember reading an article a while ago about a FF that was responding to a call in his personal vehicle and was involved in a fatal MVA. He was criminally liable. In Alberta the Provincial Govt stated that you may use Green lights on personal vehicles to identify vollunteer fire fighters but only under the direct authority of the municipality you serve. My dept decided against it after a few people took it upon themselves to use them. Nothing looked more silly than 5 vehicles racing to the fire hall. Looked like pizza delivery in a hurry. It only confused the public more any way. Our SOP's state that you may not respond directly to the scene of a call, but to respond to the fire hall only. A Chief or Capt may go directly to a scene if first info justified it. IE structure fire etc in town. Besides if every one went to the call directly what good would you be with out your equipment except to radio the trucks to hurry up? If every body went direct to scene what would you do with out the trucks? It would only open you up to free lancing and how would you as an IC plan your responce if you dont know who is where doing what?
    BAck to the main thread, In Alberta if you are using your vehicle as an emergency responce vehicle and not insured as one and something happened you would be hung out to dry.
    Some days yer the fire hydrant and some days yer the dog.

George, thank you for psycho analyzing my posts and telling me what I actually said (or what you think I actually said). Once again, you are reading waaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyy yyyyy too much into stuff. By me saying,

"a traffic cop "enforcing the law" (as you say) by pulling over someone with a blue light, would miss who knows how many maniacs doing 90 in a 65 MPH zone."

how does that say anything negative about a traffic cop? Why is that you have to spout off about your constitutional right? Please try to not be so insecure that you have attempt to justify your existence with retarded arguments that bring your constitutional right into things. Oh, and by the way, the apology was for jumping the gun on obx. The apology was not to you, and had nothing to do with you. If you knew me at all what so ever, you would know that I'm not an angry individual, and I have no anti-cop feelings. In fact, I don't think I've ever had a bad cop experience (first-hand).

Now George, analyze this post with your psychological wizardry and tell me what I'm really saying. I'd love to hear it.

Stay Safe

MembersZone Subscriber

[quote]Originally posted by PA Volunteer:

Now George, analyze this post with your psychological wizardry and tell me what I'm really saying. I'd love to hear it.

Stay Safe

This is an easy one. You are saying that you wish to demonstrate what an idiot you are.

OOh, good one George. I didn't think that even you would stoop to calling people names. Way to exercise your constitutional right to free speech.

Stay Safe

[ 01-21-2002: Message edited by: PA Volunteer ]

Lightbulb

Now I've learned my lesson to stay away from these types of posts. I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed an increase of people complaining and all around bitching at others. When I first came to this forum I didn't see as much complaining. Does anyone else notice it?

code_blue81
    Jeremy Culver
    IACOJ Bureau of EMS

These views are my own and do not represent the views or opinions of anyambulance service that I am affiliated with.

Help our fellow firefighters.
    www.helpingourown.com
    "Firefighters Helping Firefighters"

My truck is blue, does that mean if i goto Maryland i have to repaint it red? can we get into any bigger an argument over this. its a light. i personally feel that there should be a national standard for things like such. law enforcement can use blue and everyone else red. that might be a pain for us in the 7 or such states that uses blue for volunteers but oh well. how about NY state that vol EMS member use green...
    Chris Kerrigan
    ILiveInACage@aol.com
    FireFighter/EMT/HazMat Tech

New Milford Vol. Fire Dept Company #2
    New Milford,NJ

i think it's simple... if you're out of town and you don't know.. take it out, or cover it up, i live in NC and red/white is for EMS, FD's and POV's. Blue is STRICTLY LE. although some PD's use a combo of red and blue. I have a red/white dash light that's permanetly mounted on my dash along with hide-a-way strobes in my marker lights. When I go out of NC/SC/VA/TN (where i know the laws state FD's can have red/white) I just slide either a piece of cardboard in front of it, or something to sorta cover it up..

As for these people with light-bars.. they make covers for them. some just plain black, some with things like "out of service" on them.. they're cheap and can keep ya outta trouble.
    Shevais M. Shrum
    Western Wake Fire Rescue

Let's keep beating a dead horse!!! Make a global law change, and be done with it

[ 01-22-2002: Message edited by: a1633jfd ]

Wouldn't life be a hell of a lot easier if all states used blue lights for cops and red lights for fire and ems??? I say the goverment should pass a law that states this, then there would be no issues on what color light is for what profession state to state, everyone would know

[quote]Originally posted by obx-emt:
    MFF: That's all I'm saying... yank it off the dash.

AND it's not a matter of paying a ticket. It is a matter of getting handcuffed, arrested, taken to jail, bonded, and coming back for a mandatory court appearance or hiring an attorney to represent you. That's tough if your think it's BS. Do you think it's BS for your state to prohibit me to have red lights? If anyone gave me that attitude when I stopped them, there's no doubt in my mind they'd be charged.

Oh, and if really don't like it, and YOU don't want to remove them, I CAN.

[ 01-17-2002: Message edited by: obx-emt ]

"and YOU don't want to remove them, I CAN" Here is a true exapmle of cop mentality for you. Hey obx-emt...drop the typical cop attitude, your no better then anyone else. All you cops are the same you think just because you have a bagde and a gun and drive a police cruiser that you are gods... news flash your not!!!

Forum Member

Obx, I think I came off wrong, I would expect if I was in another state for an officer to stop me inform me of the laws and send me on my way. I am not one to argue with police as they have a job to do. If I was stopped and the officer said my lights were in violation of laws, I would simply pull the dashight down and turn my deck lights. I would hope the police officer would accept my state laws and not feel he needed to ticket me, because like I said all he would have to do is say you need to take the lights out of view while in this state.

I really feel however the lights should be the same in every state as this would eliminate alot of confusion. But, like that will ever happen.
    Proud to be IACOJ Illinois Chapter--Deemed "Crustworthy" Jan, 2003

[quote]Originally posted by a1633jfd:

"and YOU don't want to remove them, I CAN" Here is a true exapmle of cop mentality for you. Hey obx-emt...drop the typical cop attitude, your no better then anyone else. All you cops are the same you think just because you have a bagde and a gun and drive a police cruiser that you are gods... news flash your not!!!

Since it is a violation of the law, if he pulled someone over for a blue light violation he could not only remove the light, he could seize it as evidence in the subsequent trial.
    As for the cops thinking they are better than anyone else...what does it say about the people who are on vacation out of state with blue lights on their dash....are they going to be needing the lights for a response back home or something? Who is the one with the attitude here? If you break the law obx or any other LEO has a job to do. Being a vollie f/f doesn't make youbetter than anyone else either...despite what you may think.

First of all, I would liketo state that i amnot a LEO, nor a FF, yet. I am an explorer, and asaleader in my post i would like to say that you all are being very childish about this whole issue. It started with a simple question and went downhillfrom there. But i find it almost funny to read and have formed my own opinions on this topic. 1- LEO's have a job to do. let them do it. Maybe they can catch "those maniacs doing 90" if they didnt have to stand there and listen to a FF or EMT from out of state debating local law. 2- FF, EMT, and LEO's should obey the laws of the juristion they are in. Just because i am from Kansas and have KS tags does not mean i can do 90 on any highway from any state i am in. 3- Be responcible for your actions. As FF's and LEO's people look up to you and this childish bantering back and fore is stupid. If you have made a mistake by haveing the wrong colored lights, and get pulled over, take responcibilty. If an LEO asks you to do something aboutyour lights do it. Just the same as if you were on a scene as a FF/EMTand needed an oficer to do something for you.

I have now progressed in to a remble, but would to reiterate the fact that you shold just grow up.

I know that i am only an explorer so i dont know as much as you big-wigs out there, but that is just my opinion.

It all boils down to a simple law change...let the cops have the blue and everyone else have red....Problem solved!!!

Forum Member

Lightbulb

[quote]Originally posted by a1633jfd:
    It all boils down to a simple law change...let the cops have the blue and everyone else have red....Problem solved!!!

This really IS the answer...set a national standard so that all colors & color combinations mean exactly the same thing from state to state, and make sure that law enforcement's color scheme is completely different from Fire & EMS (which can be the same as each other).

At the same time, get rid of "courtesy light" laws entirely. If a state going to allow lights on POVs, then it should set requirements for the operators and give them EV status. If the state isn't going to give EV status, then outlaw lights on POVs entirely.

This combination of changes should solve most of the problems with the whole issue. It is also far too simple and far too sensible to ever get through a law making process anywhere in this country.

I have a friend who works as a corporate account executive for Galls, Inc. When Illinois authorized the use of wig-wags and blue grill lights (which, in theroy, were already legal..), Galls apperently was -swamped- with orders for headlight flashers.

Can you imagine a national change over of dashlights, filters, colors, lenses? I bet if you could get IAFF to support a change over for a national color scheme, you'd see every lighting company get behind it just to make a huge profit on all the plastic to sell.

Talking

A1633JFD: I shouldn't even dignify the sheer ignorance of your comments with a response, however read back and see the context in which my statements were made, to whom they were addressed, and why. ALSO:

1.) What's an "EXAPLME"?
    2.) "You're" means "you are" whereas "your" states a possession, quality, etc. of the person to whom you are speaking.
    3.) Speaking of "gods", you think your status (refernce my use of the word "your", see number 2 above) as a volunteer firefighter should exempt you from state law?

Thread Information