Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 First 123

Let's keep beating a dead horse!!! Make a global law change, and be done with it

[ 01-22-2002: Message edited by: a1633jfd ]

Wouldn't life be a hell of a lot easier if all states used blue lights for cops and red lights for fire and ems??? I say the goverment should pass a law that states this, then there would be no issues on what color light is for what profession state to state, everyone would know

[quote]Originally posted by obx-emt:
    MFF: That's all I'm saying... yank it off the dash.

AND it's not a matter of paying a ticket. It is a matter of getting handcuffed, arrested, taken to jail, bonded, and coming back for a mandatory court appearance or hiring an attorney to represent you. That's tough if your think it's BS. Do you think it's BS for your state to prohibit me to have red lights? If anyone gave me that attitude when I stopped them, there's no doubt in my mind they'd be charged.

Oh, and if really don't like it, and YOU don't want to remove them, I CAN.

[ 01-17-2002: Message edited by: obx-emt ]

"and YOU don't want to remove them, I CAN" Here is a true exapmle of cop mentality for you. Hey obx-emt...drop the typical cop attitude, your no better then anyone else. All you cops are the same you think just because you have a bagde and a gun and drive a police cruiser that you are gods... news flash your not!!!

Forum Member

Obx, I think I came off wrong, I would expect if I was in another state for an officer to stop me inform me of the laws and send me on my way. I am not one to argue with police as they have a job to do. If I was stopped and the officer said my lights were in violation of laws, I would simply pull the dashight down and turn my deck lights. I would hope the police officer would accept my state laws and not feel he needed to ticket me, because like I said all he would have to do is say you need to take the lights out of view while in this state.

I really feel however the lights should be the same in every state as this would eliminate alot of confusion. But, like that will ever happen.
    Proud to be IACOJ Illinois Chapter--Deemed "Crustworthy" Jan, 2003

[quote]Originally posted by a1633jfd:

"and YOU don't want to remove them, I CAN" Here is a true exapmle of cop mentality for you. Hey obx-emt...drop the typical cop attitude, your no better then anyone else. All you cops are the same you think just because you have a bagde and a gun and drive a police cruiser that you are gods... news flash your not!!!

Since it is a violation of the law, if he pulled someone over for a blue light violation he could not only remove the light, he could seize it as evidence in the subsequent trial.
    As for the cops thinking they are better than anyone else...what does it say about the people who are on vacation out of state with blue lights on their dash....are they going to be needing the lights for a response back home or something? Who is the one with the attitude here? If you break the law obx or any other LEO has a job to do. Being a vollie f/f doesn't make youbetter than anyone else either...despite what you may think.

First of all, I would liketo state that i amnot a LEO, nor a FF, yet. I am an explorer, and asaleader in my post i would like to say that you all are being very childish about this whole issue. It started with a simple question and went downhillfrom there. But i find it almost funny to read and have formed my own opinions on this topic. 1- LEO's have a job to do. let them do it. Maybe they can catch "those maniacs doing 90" if they didnt have to stand there and listen to a FF or EMT from out of state debating local law. 2- FF, EMT, and LEO's should obey the laws of the juristion they are in. Just because i am from Kansas and have KS tags does not mean i can do 90 on any highway from any state i am in. 3- Be responcible for your actions. As FF's and LEO's people look up to you and this childish bantering back and fore is stupid. If you have made a mistake by haveing the wrong colored lights, and get pulled over, take responcibilty. If an LEO asks you to do something aboutyour lights do it. Just the same as if you were on a scene as a FF/EMTand needed an oficer to do something for you.

I have now progressed in to a remble, but would to reiterate the fact that you shold just grow up.

I know that i am only an explorer so i dont know as much as you big-wigs out there, but that is just my opinion.

It all boils down to a simple law change...let the cops have the blue and everyone else have red....Problem solved!!!

Forum Member

Lightbulb

It all boils down to a simple law change...let the cops have the blue and everyone else have red....Problem solved!!!

This really IS the answer...set a national standard so that all colors & color combinations mean exactly the same thing from state to state, and make sure that law enforcement's color scheme is completely different from Fire & EMS (which can be the same as each other).

At the same time, get rid of "courtesy light" laws entirely. If a state going to allow lights on POVs, then it should set requirements for the operators and give them EV status. If the state isn't going to give EV status, then outlaw lights on POVs entirely.

This combination of changes should solve most of the problems with the whole issue. It is also far too simple and far too sensible to ever get through a law making process anywhere in this country.

I have a friend who works as a corporate account executive for Galls, Inc. When Illinois authorized the use of wig-wags and blue grill lights (which, in theroy, were already legal..), Galls apperently was -swamped- with orders for headlight flashers.

Can you imagine a national change over of dashlights, filters, colors, lenses? I bet if you could get IAFF to support a change over for a national color scheme, you'd see every lighting company get behind it just to make a huge profit on all the plastic to sell.

Talking

A1633JFD: I shouldn't even dignify the sheer ignorance of your comments with a response, however read back and see the context in which my statements were made, to whom they were addressed, and why. ALSO:

1.) What's an "EXAPLME"?
    2.) "You're" means "you are" whereas "your" states a possession, quality, etc. of the person to whom you are speaking.
    3.) Speaking of "gods", you think your status (refernce my use of the word "your", see number 2 above) as a volunteer firefighter should exempt you from state law?

Forum Member

How about ALL emergency vehicles should be one color?
    I can't figure out why some states (ie the south and New England) think that cops need to be a different color from everyone else. The last time I checked, you were supposed to get out of the way of ALL emergency vehicles. As a motorist, I shouldn't care what type it is, I should just pull over and stop. If the emergency vehicle pulls up behind me and shines a spotlight at my car, then it shouldn't be too hard to figure out it's a cop and not the fire chief.

Unhappy

Having come from a large Urban City, and now residing in a rural area, I'm not totally familiar with the different laws and variants of......
    Having said that, the only two reasons I can possibly think of as to why an out-of-stater would be willing to show off their lights is two-fold. First they have a tendency to speed, and need a "professional" out, or they are simply show=boating, and in that case their wrong also.
    There is an exception to this however, and I do not believe it is the problem at hand....and that is mutual aid, whether it be town to town, town to city, state to state, or state to country. Mutual Aid responses are usually worked out in advance, so I do not see a Police Officer-Sheriff-Trooper making a deal with that.
    Like I said, I'm not knowledgeable in this feild, but common-sense dictates if they can't be removed, cover the light(s), if your somewhere, where your particular status is not counted-needed-required.
    "All gave some...Some gave all!"
    9/11/01 Lest we forget!
    FDNYRR

[quote]Originally posted by obx-emt:
    A1633JFD: I shouldn't even dignify the sheer ignorance of your comments with a response, however read back and see the context in which my statements were made, to whom they were addressed, and why. ALSO:

1.) What's an "EXAPLME"?
    2.) "You're" means "you are" whereas "your" states a possession, quality, etc. of the person to whom you are speaking.
    3.) Speaking of "gods", you think your status (refernce my use of the word "your", see number 2 above) as a volunteer firefighter should exempt you from state law?

Obx - Well thanks for the english lesson Mr. Webster....

Obx - relax all I am saying is there should be a national standard on what color light each profession should have, this would then eliminate stupid arguments like this one.

As far as state laws go, each state has different laws on emergency lights. I have no problem following state laws, I just got the impression from your statement that you where on a power trip.....as far as I'm concerned everyone (police,fire,ems) should follow and obey all of the laws, not just on emergency lights.

On behalf of everyone else, anyone who wants ill gladly send them a box of tissues. Arent we all firefighters here? last i checked this wasnt babypen.com
    Chris Kerrigan
    ILiveInACage@aol.com
    FireFighter/EMT/HazMat Tech

New Milford Vol. Fire Dept Company #2
    New Milford,NJ

MembersZone Subscriber

FDNYRR,
    To answer your question as to why I would have lights displayed while out of state: I have a permanently mounted full size light bar on my personal vehicle. Given the areas I've served, that has been required to speed my response, in particular EMS 1st response. Do to the size of the response districts, I've had to respond hot up to 15 miles. I've also had to stop at MVA's on 4 lane divided highways. Full warning lights are needed for scene and personal safety.

Until recently, this has been my only vehicle, so it had to be the vehicle I drove on business travel & vacation. Since the bar is permanently roof mounted, that's why I had lights in view while out of state. As I mentioned in a previous post, I've only been even questioned once, in a motel parking lot in Illinois. It was a very polite encounter with a local cop who just asked for verification that I was a firefighter. I acknowledge that other folks may have had other experiences, but in almost 20 years of traveling, this has been my experience.

To take in one step further, in a very few circumstances I've stopped at MVA's while out of state (only when there were no other responders present)and activated my lights to protect the scene, the injured, and myself. I've never been questioned, though I don't recall whether the states allowed red lights for volunteers or not. A question for the police officers in this thread - how would you react to a person who did that - no responding - just a parked vehicle on scene with emergency lights activated?
    Proud to be honored with IACOJ membership. Blessed by TWO meals cooked by Cheffie - a true culinary goddess. Expressing my own views, not my organization's.

Ohio Volly: I'm with you 100%, as far as your response district, and any other perihperal areas your normally assigned to. As far as Light Bars on a vehicle you travel with....I don't agree. Why?
    For the main reasons mentioned here....there is NO universal light system "yet" in this country, as far as State to State, and your color lights in the wrong State, may in fact induce a MVA. "KISS" Keep It Simple Stupied.....(and not meant personally), just cover the damn things, or if removable, take them off. As far as stopping to aid in other States, so far, I managed with just my four-ways on......and have never been chastised for it. Remember a Cop , or Firefighter, or EMS is not necesasarily so in another State. Certifications are different, even the infamous "National Certification" in EMS, so away from home your John Doe, and like all us other John Doe's....a nobody!
    "All gave some...Some gave all!"
    9/11/01 Lest we forget!
    FDNYRR

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 First 123

Thread Information