Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Question What do you think about the "Glory in the Glare" article from TIME Magazine??ne

Have any of you read the article from TIME magazine about the firefighter who was running up the World Trade Center Tower 1, and a guy took his picture? Now his picture is everywhere, and everybody is calling him a hero. But he doesn't think so, because when he was told to get out he ran and hid under one of the battalion chief's red CHEVY Suburban. Do you think he's a "hero"?

Personally I think that he is a hero. I mean, he was just following oreders from the commander in charge! The last time i didn't follow direct orders, i got my butt chewed out! This guy was just following direct orders, and he doesn't think he's hero! What do you think?
    fireman_1

I think that everyone that responded to the WTC is a hero. These men and women were noble enough to go into a building that they had no idea how stable it was. Had they know that it would fall would they still have entered? I think that many would have. This man did what all good FF's do. He did what the guys on the outside told him to do. They could see that the building was becoming unstable. They ordered them out. He was one of the few that were lucky enough to be able to get out with his life. But before that, he had helped many to get out safely. He is most definitely a HERO.

Be safe out there.

MembersZone Subscriber

What is he guilty of ??? surviving. This fireman was where he was suppose to be and just by chance had his picture taken and was one of the fortunate to live to see it.

He is a hero in my book !! {As is every member of the FDNY, NYPD, PAPD} He did what he was told and got out when he was instructed to do so. I've read an article or two on this guy about how he feels like his co-workers are against him because of the photo and him being called a hero...The man was doing his job and when the evacuation order was given he bailed...I would have too. I would think that when faced with the choice of a 110 story building falling on you or possibly surviving by jumping under a truck....I would take the truck so that after the collapse If I survive I could continue to do my job and help those that might be trapped or in danger. ~ Whoever says this guy was a coward for bailing out needs to reconsider what they are saying...I've also read but I can't remember where that most of the people making this crap up were no where near WTC on 9-11. It's just the media trying to get hype started. How true that is I don't know but it's a shame anyone would say such a thing about a man trying to do his job -- I apprecieate what he did and apprecieate all those who responded to WTC on 9-11 and the days that followed !!
    ***The Opinions expressed here are strictly my own and do not reflect those of the Department to which I am a Member ! ***

Stratford Fire Co. # 1.."Any Job ~ Any Place ~ Any Time"

Check us Out www.stratfordfire.com

hey, thanks for all of your imput, does anyone else have any imput? i'm doing a paper for an exam over this topuc, and this is one of my sources!! anyone have anything they would like to add? thanks,
    fireman_1

Its unfortunate that words such as “hero” get cheapened or tarnished from overuse…Professional basketball players making millions are called “heros” and “warriors” for “gutting it out” on the basketball court. Movie characters charge machine gun nests, and sacrifice their fictitious lives “heroically”, or better yet, maintain the presence of mind to calmly reminisce about life, while sitting next to a bomb that will "kill" him, while saving mankind from a wayward meteor. Its not hard to imagine then, why a guy, doing what he thinks is his job (and probably suffering from survivors guilt), is embarrassed to be called a “hero” after he dived under a truck to save himself, while so many of his brothers lost their lives.

Well this is what the dictionary defines as a hero: “A person noted for feats of courage or nobility of purpose, especially one who has risked or sacrificed his or her life.” What then could be more noble or “heroic” then the man or woman who ran toward the towers, when everyone else was doing everything they could just to get away? He then had to face the noise, the fog of confusion, the falling bodies and razor sharp sheets of glass, and this was just to get IN the building. From there it was a journey up a smoky coffin type stairwell, each stuffed full of frightened, bloody, and burned people, carrying 50 or more pounds of equipment, and knowing that each floor up was another minute or two longer it would take to escape, should something go wrong. The lucky ones made it out. Maybe they were late arriving, or had aided an injured person to an ambulance, or like the FF in the picture, received a radio call to evacuate, and found a truck that provided shelter from the falling debris. He then, like the others who still could, turned around, and went back to pile, and began to dig.

Brother if this isn’t a definition of a hero, I don’t know what is.

[ 01-22-2002: Message edited by: rrilling ]

The best way I have heard it put is this...he is a hero...but not because of 9-11. he became a hero the day he took the job, everything else he has done since then has been him doing his job.

Thread Information