Forum Member

Post FF Combat Challenge

I am starting to get ready for the challenge in Rockford,IL which is this June. I am in pretty good physical shape but I am looking for any tips on preparing for the challenge. This will be my first time doing the challenge so I am looking for any tips for preparing and techniques that have worked for anyone else that has done the challenge already. Thanks. Scott/Somers Fire. shoney6308@yahoo.com [quote]
    "PUT THE WET STUFF ON THE RED STUFF"

MembersZone Subscriber

I suggest you go to http://www.firefighterchallenge.com. This is the combat challenge official web site.

There is an 'on-line coach' feature where you can ask seasoned competitors questions and read the questions and answers submitted by others.

Also the 'challenge interactive' is a message board where you can discuss things with others.
    Susan Lounsbury
    Winston-Salem Rescue Squad
    Griffith Volunteer FD

Forum Member

Thanks...
    "PUT THE WET STUFF ON THE RED STUFF"

Cardio, Cardio, Cardio

I put my gear on with tank on air and walk on the treadmill at the highest angle, at a brisk pace, while holding 25lb weights in both hands for 20 minutes.

I do this because we don't have a tower or any other training simulators.

I did it in Chicago last year, it was cold and miserable, and I threw up my breakfast in the parking lot 15 minutes after I was done. But it was fun, and I got a 2:40.

Good Luck.

MEDIC O372
    Firehouse.com Guest

LEGS LEGS LEGS CARDIO CARDIO CARDIO then LEGS LEGS LEGS again.

Try to find a place to practice...I have noted over the years that people ALWAYS do better the 2nd or 3rd time even with no other training. It is VERY important to learn your pace.

Have fun and be safe...Medic 0372

[ 01-18-2002: Message edited by: MEDIC O372 ]

Forum Member

Legs and cardio are important but don't forget about upper body. If you can't hall that hose load up there you can't go any farther. Technique can get you a lot farther that you might think. But one thing is for sure, once you get out there "Never Give Up". Experience is a key too. Everytime you race you learn something new. I spent 8yrs 11mos and 19days trying to break 4:00. It finally came on the day that I turned 50. Good luck to all in this new year and will step to the line at Deerfield Beach in May.
    Stephen J Bourassa
    Latham FD (NY)
    member since 1969
    challenge competitor since 1993

Temporarily/No Longer Active

Smile

I found out the even though I was pretty fit....or at least I thought so....I didn't do nearly enough leg work in the months that I trained prior to my first competition. Legs come into play in every evolution of that event. The more stress you can introduce into your leg workouts the better....especially quad (upper leg) excerises. Good technique will save you lots of time, but you have to run the course over and over to achieve it. I hit my best time (just under 2.30) on my fourth try. Running it really gives you a new found respect for the guys running it in 1.40 and less.

Also, don't concern yourself with "carbing up" prior to the day of your event. I found my regular balanced diet to be just fine and don't forget to drink plenty of fluids before and immediately following the event. Good Luck!!!!!!!!

Forum Member

You are right about the fluid thing. Dr. Jack said the the fluid thing should really start the day before.
    Stephen J Bourassa
    Latham FD (NY)
    member since 1969
    challenge competitor since 1993

Thread Information