Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    PENN7VFC#725
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default ANTHRAX TREAT RESPONSE

LOOKING TO FIND OUT WHAT OTHER DEPARTMENTS ARE DOING WHEN CALLED FOR ANTHRAX LETTER THREATS/EXPOSURES.
    DO YOU HANDLE IT WITH JUST THE FIRE DEPARTMENT OR DO YOU SECURE AREA AND WAIT FOR HAZ-MAT TEAMS?
    DO YOU ENTER WITH ONLY LEVEL A OR TAPE UP THE ENTRY TEAMS IN NORMAL FIRE TURN OUT GEAR?
    DO YOU DECOM WITH JUST A STORNG SOAP AND WATER OR DO YOU USE A DISINFECTANT?
    DO YOU CONTAIN THE DECON RUN OFF FOR RECOVERY LATER OR JUST LET GO DOWN THE SEWER SYSTEM?
    ONE FACT SHEET I FOUND SAID THAT THE ONLY ACCEPTABLE DECON IS TO USE STEAM AND BURN ALL EXPOSED MATERIALS. CAN THIS BE TRUE? AND HOW LARGE AN AREA MUST BE DECONNED IF THIS IS TRUE?

sgt128
    Firehouse.com Guest

From what I understand, my department is set up to clear the way for the local Haz Mat teams. We really don't carry much stuff for decon, but our local Haz Trailer carries the decon equipment which we learned how to use in FF1 class.
    I believe that we also, in that situation, have the HAz team from Ft. Dietrich respond as they have more medical hazmat training than anybody else.
    The Police also geet involved in a strong way, probably responding with the Bomb Team, who is also trained to handle terrorist devices such as Anthrax. Good question, I'm going to look more into that!

Thread Information