stone35
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default Fluid Absorber

Our department presently uses a no-name oil absorber to mop-up after car wrecks and what not. Has anyone found a particular absorber to be cheaper, yet more effective?

It's all about the money for some people.

tydon
    Firehouse.com Guest

Oil absorbant material comes in all sahpes and sizes, and can be cheap to expensive.

Are you using absorbant pads or is it granular?

If you are looking for cheap try kitty litter, the least expensive the better.

As you say "it's all about money!"

mifr50
    Firehouse.com Guest

We use the following absorbent for oil/fluid spills. Gatorsorb for spills on land and Cellusorb for fuel/oil spills in waterways. We use these absorbents because they require no pickup or disposal due to the fact that they breakdown the fuel/oil and become biodegradable. Gatorsorb can be swept to the edge of the roadway and will biodegrade and presents no hazard. Let me know if you need more info.

mifr50
    Firehouse.com Guest

We use the following absorbent for oil/fluid spills. Gatorsorb for spills on land and Cellusorb for fuel/oil spills in waterways. We use these absorbents because they require no pickup or disposal due to the fact that they breakdown the fuel/oil and become biodegradable. Gatorsorb can be swept to the edge of the roadway and will biodegrade and presents no hazard. Let me know if you need more info.

stone35
    Firehouse.com Guest

Gatorsorb and Cellusorb. I'll have to check into these products. Do you know if they have a website?

Thanks in advance.

------------------
    Stone35

SFDchief
    Firehouse.com Guest

One word of advise for those that choose to use kitty litter. Use the unscented type. The chemicals in the scented type could possibly react with other chemicals you're trying to clean up.

For larger fluid spills due to mva's I find adsorbant pads and booms work better than absorbant pads. Expecially when it's raining out or when any body of water is involved. The absorbant type of pads will soak up mostly water leaving the oils.

DD
    Firehouse.com Guest

Something to try is dry planer shavings or sawdust for gasoline, diesel fuel, motor oil, and antifreeze spills. It is available at no cost from many sawmills and shops. Cleanup contractors like it because it can be incinerated. It's not very good when there is rain.

Clay products take intense heat to decompose and most incinerating companies will not take it.

The gator products that bio-degrade sound interesting. What is the cost?

Another consideration is the property owner or unit of government that owns the roadway. Will they permit the bio-degradation. Testing should be done to confirm that it worked. If it didn't work satisfactorily, then excavation of the earth and replacment
    would still be required.

TEAM-1 Emergency Services
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hey guys a quick note from Canada's leading Spill Response Contractor.

Gator Zorb is not good for E/R
    Bio takes time and requires the right conditions.

Do not put a combustible like saw dust on gasoline

We are responsible for mitigation of HazMat's and other spills and as such have researched all types of absorbents. We have gone with a material called MultiZorb. Its made in London, Ontario and is essentially lava rock. It is a granular and powdered material with great drying and absrobent capabilities. A 35 lb. bag is apprx. $18.00 but you need very little to do the job.

Kitty and Saw dust are the worst absrobents

Any other spill info, please contact me and i will assist,

Thanking you,

Mitchell Gibbs
    Manager, E/R

Thread Information