Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Tony Brown
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post HazMat concerns in train derailments.

I am researching the hazardous materials issue as it relates to the rail industry, more especially involving train derailments. I would like to receive information from different responders as to your protocols in such as incident.
    I am also interested in protocols and avenues taken to provide emergency care for the train crew(s).
    Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

tony brown
    Whitehouse, TX
    tbrown@tyler.net

wfo
    Firehouse.com Guest

tank cars system to identify left and right no matter the position of the car. "B"end is the end of the car which has the handbrake.the "A" end is the opposite end. to determin which side of the car is left and which is right face the "B" end to the right is right to the left is left

Glen Chapman
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

LIke Tony I would also like to know more about railway incidents involving Hazmat.We have a major railway that runs through our town with at least 25 trains a day. Most of them are coal trains,but I got caught at the track one day and counted 17 cars carrying hydrochloric acid(later looked up up the placard in my manual.)It would be a major disaster if something like that crashed.It would be great if some of ya'll had some info you couyld help me with on this

Lt.Glen Chapman
    Fire Marshal City of Flippin,AR FD

Phred
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

For a wealth of training assistance, contact the railroad that passes through your jurisdiction; talk to the office that you call to report railroad emergencies or your State Fire Marshal for help in locating the RR Safety or HazMat officials. The Safety or HazMat departments of the major Class 1 railroads all provide information and excellent training materials and instructors to fire departments - it's yours for the asking.

If you promise the railroad an audience of interested Firefighters, they will either come to your department with slides, videos, and instructors, or invite you to a yard or siding and provide an actual locomotive and HazMat rolling stock for you to examine, crawl through, and recieve hands-on training with. All they ask is that you follow their safety rules and be attentive. Informative handouts and HazMat information that pertains to the railroad industry are normally plentiful and free.

If you've never participated in a railroad training session, I suggest you arrange one for your Department - you won't regret it!

EPFD-AL
    Firehouse.com Guest

Great advice so far, especially from Phred.

The rail lines (truckers too) have been very cooperative with us in the Northeast.

Remember that Uncle Sam says that all hazmat incidents require ICS. One one the biggest factors in successful ICS is preplanning. Written mutual aid agreements are invaluable for incidents like these.

In my state each locality must establish an Office of Emergency Management, whose plans for all emergencies (from rail/highway/SARA hazmats to hurricanes to terrorism and etc) must be clearly spelled out in a manual that must be reviewed and approved annually at the state level. It takes a whole lot of time and teamwork (fire/police/ems/etc must meet and agree) to establish the initial OEM manual, but after that it's easy.

Several copies of the OEM manual are distributed to each agency, and drills are held.

I responded to a rail hazmat incident many years ago and the preplan saved our necks.
    One big lesson I learned from our spill is to keep a pair of binoculars on the apparatus. Upon arrival, and keeping a "safe distance" we couldn't read the placcards.

Thread Information