tmr91
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post response guidelines

I'm looking for hazmat response information. I'm in the process of writing a guideline for my department. This will need to cover a simple 5 gallon fuel spill to a full blown incident. We are a paid on-call department and average about hazmat calls a year. Any information or references would be of great help.Thanks

Robert Burke
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

Many departments use a tiered response system to hazardous materials incidents based upon levels of training, protective equipment available, the chemicals involved, and the resources necessary to handle the incident. Usually this system is identified using levels of response, Level I, Level II, and Level III.

A Level I response would be for fuel spills of less than say 50 gallons. This type of response could be handled by company level personnel in full turnouts and SCBA who have been trained to the operations level. No additional resources would be needed.

A Level II incident might involve chemicals other than fuel, or quantities of fuel greater than 50 gallons, the hazmat team, perhaps multiple agencies from your jurisdiction and maybe some state resources. Depending on the size of the community, a Level II might not require outside resources.

A Level III incident would also involve hazardous materials other than fuel, or a large amount of fuel and possibly fire, hazmat team response, and multiple resources from the local, state, federal and privite industry levels. This is a major hazmat incident such as the recent train derailment in Louisiana.

Obviously this type of SOP would require customization to your local situation and much more detail. But this should point you in the right direction. If you need additional help, please feel free to contact me.

Thread Information