Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Robert Burke
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb Hazmat Team Entry Times

What have different hazmat teams done to improve entry times at hazmat incidents?

Neen5029
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

What do you mean by improve? are you trying to make each entry more efficient??

[This message has been edited by Neen5029 (edited October 09, 2000).]

Petie
    Firehouse.com Guest

To improve entry times at hazmat scenes some teams have eliminated the pre-entry physicals since they are not required and also personnel are medically monitored on an annual basis. Also, some teams have compiled all the essential items needed for dressing in one container before the emergency for each entry person. This saves the time running around later. Entry people dress themselves as much as they can to save time. In a national questionnaire I did the average time from arriving on-scene to entry was approximately 30 minutes as of 12/99. This is an improvement of 30% over the last 10 years. Through experience we are becoming more efficient and quicker at entry without jeopardizing our health and safety. Finally, in competition at the last IAFC HazMat Conference in Towson, MD entry personnel dressed and entered a hot zone in just over two and a half minutes. Not bad!

PaulChristenson
    Firehouse.com Guest

>>Finally, in competition at the last IAFC HazMat Conference in Towson, MD entry personnel dressed and entered a hot zone in just over two and a half minutes. Not bad!<<

This was before or after they had identified the hazardous substance??

Petie
    Firehouse.com Guest

Vermont Paul,
    This was in a hazmat competition where teams of two people entered the competition area in Level A suits to complete several stations of plugging, patching, etc with the quickest time winning. The winning time for several stations was approximately 7 to 8 minutes. There were no live chemicals used other than dihydrogen oxide. Ha!

Lewiston2Capt
    Firehouse.com Guest

I think that whenever considering entry time from arrival on scene material identification is a must. Going in in a level A suit just because it is the highest level available is never a good idea. The suit must be compatible with the material that takes time. I think anyone here can get into a suit in a relatively short amount of time. 2 minutes is really good but an adequate scene size up and team briefing takes time. I think it would be possible to be on scene and making an entry in approximately 20 min, especially with the new technologies that are out there.

------------------
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Captain
    Lewiston Fire Co. No. 2

Thread Information