HHoffman
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up Haz Mat Training

Are your Haz Mat people trained to the NFPA 472 level? DOD now has 472 level Haz Mat training for its Federal Firefighters. After you are certified, what next? Is standard update training every year all we need to do? What happens when the NFPA 472 changes? I like the training I just had, it was better then the old OSHA level training.

Petie
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Dear H from PA,
    It is great to hear your agency has taken the proactive approach to training to NFPA 472. Very few public agencies have done so even though this minimum, consensus standard has now become the standard of care in the industry. Few administrators know or realize that NFPA 472 would become the measuring stick in a court of law if something happened. Training to comply to this standard is prudent! So, kudos to you!
    After intial training it is important to address the updates that occur every three years with the NFPA standards process. It may also be prudent to conduct frequent and periodic updates with 2 to 4 sessions per year being a good number. Remember, you can disguise these sessions as flammable liquid and flammable gas sessions and still satisfy the hazmat training. Use your imagination but the law says responder compentencies have to be maintained. The best way, from experience, is to conduct classes but also do some hands-on (i.e. decon, foam, master streams on LP tanks, etc.) Good luck!
    Petie/Wisconsin

fireemt03
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

Point of order.
    I do NOT feel that one can get the BEST training from just ONE source. I too was in the DOD class and it was OK the best part about it was all the "toys" that they have. We here in Mo. have trained using BOTH the NFPA 472, AND the 29 CFR 1910-120. Which while at that class I found out several "Responders" have never heard of the 1910-120. which WILL morethan likly be used in court. I think that the OSHA class I went to was harder.
    as far as continued training goes.... follow the 472, AND the 1910-120. both will fullfill training requirements. you can also take a look at the 473 or even the 471 for more objectives or compentices to follow... learn. also there is a handbook available for free that has training objectives in it. the "guidelines for public sector hazardous materials training". you can request the free book from: www.fema.gov/emi/hmep
    there are many avenues of receiveing training, both for upgrade AND recert. the DOD class should not be held as an end all class. Also try to hook up with your LEPC, some of these are untouched sourses of FREE training. fell free to contact me on the side if you wish.

Corey J. Molinelli
    Pulaski County Emergency Manager
    DOD Firefighter

[This message has been edited by fireemt03 (edited 06-18-2001).]

[This message has been edited by fireemt03 (edited 06-18-2001).]

Capt2-9-2
    Firehouse.com Guest

Fire....that website was updated in April l998. Is that the most recent?

fireemt03
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

IT BRINGS UP THE SITE TO WHERE YOU CAN ORDER THE BOOK YES. AS FAR AS THE MOST CURRENT COPY..... WELL I BELEIVE IT IS...MAYBE ONCE THE NEW 472 COMES OUT IT WILL BE UPDATED. THERE IS A LOT OF GOOD STUFF IN IT.

Up to this year all we had was OSHA training. Training is only as good as the instructor, and what you put into it. I agree that training from one place year after year is not a good thing. I feel that training to the NFPA is better then to OSHA. NFPA gives you line by line skills that you have to meet. We are setting up training to meet our needs on our base. It works better for us. Just my 2 cents.

[ 07-01-2001: Message edited by: HHoffman ]
    Henry C. Hoffman Jr.

Thread Information