Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mass Decon

Default Mass Decon

I am working on a plan for mass decon. The aspect that is stumping me is a method of tagging the people and their possessions. Anyone know of anything already available for this?
    I would like to track people through the decon / sorting process and on through transport and hospital evaluation.

Try using the 1 gallon zip lock bags with the persons name written on it. All personal possessions go in the bag before entry (if entry personnel), or in the bag at the entry to the decon corridor of a victim tag write the name of the person on the bag and have them keep it with them through decon. The stuff inside the bag isnt going to get decontaminated but it is contained. And since they held onto the bag you can't be blamed for stealing anything.

I hope this helps.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Use a small bio beg for the belongings and a large bio bag for clothing. Simply place small bag into the large one.

As far as ID, we are using the last four digits of the pt's ss#. Or last name with another code,this is placed on the back of the pt's hand prior to decon as well as large bio bag. When pt arrives at triage the code will follow the pt on the met tag system.

Remeber come up with what ever works for your system.

FF Jason Kerr
    WMD Coordinator
    Jacksonville Fire/Rescue Fl.

I already have a method of containing clothing, etc removed in the decon process. I am looking for a tracking/ tagging system that will follow the people throughout the whole process.

We have talked about using those Plastic Wristlit braclets if we have enouhg time to get that in detail but for the immediate victims using a simple grease pin to write a number on them and having a medical evaluation team oversea and process them.
    "A 4x4 **** son plywood comes in bigger sheets than that make that hole bigger boy" There are those out there that know what I mean!!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

I like the idea of using the zip lock bags. This way they carry their own stuff. We use Triage tags and giving the patient one of the detatchable corners, since they are going for evaluation. I've heard of using blank tags you can buy at any office supply company and by using a numbering system you can assign a number or use patients name and SS#. This way you give them a tag and have a tag for the bag, but everything has to be written twice unless you have them pre numbered.

We stay away from bio bags, because it is our understanding that if you close and seal a bio bag, it cannot be reopened unless it is by an individual or company licensed to handle hazardous waste cleaning. that is the way we understand the law, and I may be completely wrong but that is why we do not use the red bags. If someone could clarify this for me I would appreciate it. We triple bag with regular heavy duty trash bags.

Ed
    I.A.C.O.J.-Member

"The only difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits".-Albert Einstien

"If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door"-Milton Berle

We have implemented the use of triage tags designed and sold by this company. They have a section of the tag that is torn off and placed with the personal belongings / evidence. There is even a large contaminated section of the tag that can be removed after the patient has been decontaminated. Their website is:

web page

[ 08-20-2001: Message edited by: Fletch-a-matic ]

[ 08-20-2001: Message edited by: Fletch-a-matic ]

I don't know how much money you have to use, but the team I am on we use bar coding for tracking pt's and belongings. When the pt first come into the decon system they get a triage tag, that has a barcode on it. It also has tear off barcodes that can be placed into bags with the pt's belongings. There is no writing that needs to be done, and since some pt's may not be able to communicate you do not need SSN or a name. The system is quick and almost foolproof. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thread Information