Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default PASS Underneath Level "A"s

I got into a discussion with the house Captain about, why we had a PASS device on our HAZ-MAT air packs. I can't find a requirement anywhere that says it is required for Haz-Mat. Only for interior structural firefighting. I enjoy my hearing and would like to keep it. It is almost impossible to shut the things off underneath the protective garments. Does anyone have any answers. Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

I would have to say that it isn't necessary.
    In a fire you can't see some one go down so you need something to let people know that the FF is down. In a haz mat situation you usually can see the person.

I understand that you want the Pass devices gone, but what about the ones that are built into the airpack delivery. also, there are times, when line of sight is not possible (inside facilities which at best have staircases, labs, sealed rooms, special venitlation issues, whatever. I would rather have the darn thing going off w/ the team resetting it by doing the airpack wiggle, than having someone go down and I do not know about it.

Couldn't you just slide your arm out of your suits sleeve in to your suit and reset the alarm and just replace your arm in to the proper position? this would be a better option than having no alarm at all.
    "I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we know the work which a fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling."

Edward F. Croker
    Chief 1899-1911
    Fire Dept. City of New York

I believe because you are operating in an IDLH atmosphere, the requirement would be to utilize the PASS device. You may want to check the OSHA requirement (if you are an OSHA state) to be sure of the requirements for a PASS device when operating with SCBA. Also, as was pointed out, many new SCBA units have integrated PASS , which can't be altered or disconnected without violating the NIOSH certification. The old practice of movement at the initial alarm stage is best. Also, you should have the capability to remove your hand inside the suit if the unit needed to be reset.

Stay safe!

I was on top of an SO2 railcar applying a capping kit. It was very difficult to have to stop your task to just give a "little wiggle" every 30 seconds. How effective are they inside a class A suit? Being everyone else is (should be) outside the hot zone, no one will hear them.

Yes we get into IDLH atmousphers. Can't see your team? Use a spotter. The use of "spotters" keeping line of site is much better than a PASS ever will be.

As for the new SCBA with intergrated PASS...?? Hopefully there will be a solution put forth.

Forum Member

The use of a PASS device is safety measure to alert personnel that you are in need of assitance and to locate you in non visual or semivisual conditions.
    US OSHA 1910.134 requires their use if invlved in a IDLH atmosphere. I personally do not like the PASS devices attached or connected directly to the SCBA. I prefer a separate device. Having used them since 1982 in PPE (level a) for some time, yes they can be a pain, but there can be worth gold in emergency. PASS devices are like any other equipment. Learn to adjust to how they were intended to be used and use them for what they are. Safety devices.

Have not met a safety that was not a pain in some capacity, but have not met a safety devices that I did not recognize it safety potential.

One must use common sense and practical experience to never over endanger the crew.

Thread Information