Thread: Ideas?

Default Ideas?

Any suggestions on how we can utilize this forum better? It's a great way to share training ideas, websites...etc.

I agree. It would be good to have this as a place where we can share ideas, training thoughts etc.

I READ YOUR POST AND THEN LOOKED AT ANOTHER ONE AND HAD TO COME BACK. THE PERSON ASKED HOW TO MAKE OPERATIONS/AWARENESS MORE INTERESTING. AS I LOOK AT THE LACK OF INPUT ON THIS POST IT REAFIRMS HOW BORRING OR SCARRY HAZ. MAT. IS. AS THE SHIFT LEADER FOR MY HAZ. MAT. TEAM I AM ALWYAS SEARCHING FOR NEW WAYS TO MAKE IT MORE APEALING TO PEOPLE. IT'S HARD WHEN THEY ARE ONLY THERE BECAUSE IT IS REQUIRED TRAINING. I'M WITH YOU. I THINK THIS COULD BE BETTER UTILIZED. I'LL TRY AND VISIT THIS MORE OFTEN AND GIVE SOME INPUT AND HOPE TO SEE MORE IN THE FUTURE.

I'm Training Officer for my team. I've found that lots of hands on, working with other fire companies and industry training has made these trainings interesting. We have lots of "Abbottville" type toys for training. We're volunteer and the members show up. As a County team, we get to work with many different fire companies. There's a wonderful bunch of great and dedicated people out there.
    Celeste VanBelle

Forum Member

Well we were doing our Ops. refresher last Sat. when a desk box was struck for a structure fire (Mill) in the upper village.After working the fire for about twenty minutes we discovered there were some neat chemicals in the building.Keep in mind the fire had a pretty good preburn and was rolling on arrival.Chemicals involved were Acetone 6 55 gal drums,55 gal drums of MEK-P,and organic peroxide.Now for the sake of a training,anyone want to kick in their thoughts on this incident? T.C.

CAPT , HOW ABOUT HAVING GUYS LIST THERE RESPONSE AND THE WAY THEY HANDLED IT, EVEN IF ITS A SMALL FUEL SPILL , LET THE GUYS GIVE THERE INPUT, WE ALL DO IT A LITTLE DIFFERNT WE CAN LEARN LITTLE TRICKS THAT HAVE WORK. I AM A ER OPS MANAGER FOR A PRIVATE HAZ MAT, WE COVER THE SOUTHEAST US SO I GET TO WORK WITH A LOT OF DIFFERNT DEPTS AROUND THE SOUTH , AND A DAY DOESNT GO BY THAT I DONT LEARN SOMETHING NEW FROM THEM ,ALLMOST EVERYTHING WE HAVE BEEN TAUGHT SOME ONE HAS LEARNED THRU TRIAL AND ERROR ,SOME ONE HAS ALREADY DONE THE TESTING FOR US, WE JUST NEED TO ASK FOR THE RESULTS

RESCUE, NOT TO SOUND TO MUCH LIKE AN ARM CHAIR QUARTER BACK, ONE THING I'VE LEARNED THE HARD WAY ALSO IS TO KNOW THE OCCUPANCY OF THE STRUCTURE YOU ARE RESPONDING TO. IF YOU DONT KNOW TRY AND LOOK AT THE SIGN IN FRONT OF THE BUISNESS. SOMETIMES IT MAY GIVE YOU A CLUE AS TO THE CONTENTS SOMETIMES NOT. ONE THING I TRY AND DO EACH TIME WE ARE OUT IS TO JUST LOOK AT THE BUILDINGS IN MY RESPONSE AREA. HOPE THIS HELPS AND AGAIN I'M TRYING NOT TO SOUND TO MUCH LIKE A CRITIC.

Thread Information