Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default ANTHRAX RESPONSE FOR NON-HAZ MAT TEAM

WE ARE A SMALL RURAL DEPARTMENT WITH NO HAZ MAT TEAM WITHIN 60-80 MILES. WE HAVE HAD ONE SUSPICIOUS LETTER CALL WHICH WAS HANDELED BY OUR CITY CLERK (SHE SAID NOTHING LOOKED SUSPICIOUS TO HER). THE MAYOR WAS NOT TO HAPPY AND HE WANT A PLAN IN ACTION.

]HERE IS OUR PLAN PLEASE RESPOND TO LET ME KNOW WHAT TO CHANGE.

WE WILL SEND A LIMITED RESPONSE OF PERSONNELL AND APPARATUS TO THE CALLER LOCATION. WE WILL INTERVIEW THE SUBJECT AND DETERMINE LEVEL OF THREAT.

1. ENTRY PERSONNEL WILL DON STRUCTURAL FIREFIGHTING GEAR Or TYVEK COVERALLS WITH LATEX GLOVES AND SCBA.

2. WE WILL BAG THE PACKAGE IN A GALLON ZIPLOCK.

3. WE WILL TRY TO ASSESS THE INTERIOR OF THE PACKAGE WITH A FLASHLIGHT THOURGH THE PACKAGE AND ALSO BY FEEL.

4. IF NO SUSPICOIUS ITEM IS FOUNd THE PARTY MAY HAVE THE PACKAGE BACK.

5. IF THERE IS A SUSPICIOUS MATERIAL. WE WILL DOUBLE BIOHAZRD BAG THE ENVELOPE LEAVE IT AT THE LOCATION, EVACUATE THE RESIDENCE AND CALL STATE AND FEDERAL AGENCIES.

QUESTIONS??

IF A SUSPICIOUS SUBSTANCE IS FOUND DO THE ENTRY TEAMS NEED TO DECON MORE THAN JUST WASHING HANDS THEN TAKING A SHOWER AT THE STATION. IT HAS BEEN MY UINDERSTANDING THAT STREET DECON IS NOT NEEDED IS THIS YOUR FEELINGS?

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRATIACTED?
    THANKS
    wpenn

billy@wdesigns.net [B]null[/B

Hi Billy
    I believe that just a mere washing of hands will not be enough.
    Personnel that are in contact with the parcel or suspect package should be wearing the correct PPE. Thus decontamination of the personnel aswell as the PPE must be taken seriously.
    As you stated, personnel will be wearing SCBA etc. A chemical suite would be a more appropriate atire. Have a portable shower at hand.
    I could go on and on but the point is that everyone that was in contact with the article/s should be treated or examined by a Doctor. Nasal and sputem swabs taken. The hazmat team (2) should enter and exit the Hazmat scene via the various zones, namely: cold
    warm
    hot
    Anthrax in what ever form must be treated with respect. Your life depends on it.
    I wish you all the best
    BE SAFE

You should get with your State Agency OES or whom ever is responcible for Statwide Emergencies. They should hav sent out a press release, We got one on what is expected and what to do in case of any threats that occur.
    Front line since 1983 and still going strong

I think that if you dont actually have a haz mat team, You should NOT attempt to harness the tiger. Haz mat teams have all the protecive gear and training to make as good a defense as can be. I dont think your mayor really wants to Possibly expose his FD. Hopefully your being rural, keeps you safe.
    I work in a rural FD. and were next to the canadian border at blaine Wa. We have two oil refineries and an incredibly HUGE storage facility for propane/butane. There saying that there's possibly a terrorist cell in vancouver BC. Im not to woried about anthrax here, but our refineries could be threatened.
    Be careful about committing your people into a situation that they aren't properly trained for. How much haz mat training do your people have? Any technicians?

MembersZone Subscriber Halligan84's Avatar

Check out the CDC home page, you can link to it through the anthrax stories on this page. They have some very good common sense response guidelines.

Thread Information