Default "Best" Antrax Call

Some of these calls have been pretty funny (not in any way intended to minimize the situation).

For example, we had one call for

white powder on the floor in a Dunkin Donuts!
    The above is MY OPINION only and not that of anyone else. I am not representing any organization in making a post here!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

My favorite came from another department in my county. They were called to a home and pointed to the bathroom by the resident. It seems that the toilet paper 'lint' appeared to be a powdery substance to him. I guess he thought Mr. Whipple was out to get him.
    Susan Lounsbury
    Winston-Salem Rescue Squad
    Griffith Volunteer FD

MembersZone Subscriber

Our best Anthrax non-call was the guy who ordered cigarettes from Mexico and only called us in a panic after he did not get an expected reaction from white powder he snorted, which it turns out he had found in the box with the cigarettes...one test of the substance and one call to the Mexican distributor identified it to be dust
    Paul in VT
    Every man is as God made him, ay, and often worse.
    Miguel de Cervantes

A person dishonored is worst than dead.
    Miguel de Cervantes

Forum Member

Got called yesterday for a white powder in a gas station outhouse.

I never quite figured it out.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

John_Ford
    Firehouse.com Guest

Statue of Limitations hasn't run out so I can't say names, ETC. We got a call for a bag of white powder found under the seat of a car. We respond, county Hazmat. Makes entry, OK everything good. Test for EVERYTHING. All negative. Do me a favor. Try this. Field test kit for drugs. Bingo, Cocaine. I laughing so hard I'm crying. Hello, State Police.

white substance in grocery bag with two bags of flour in it
    Thanks,
    Scottie Schmidt JR (junior fire fighter

I used to shudder while watching the cop shows when the cops would taste the powder to determine what kind of drugs were in the bag. Do they have a training course for taste testing anthrax?

How about a cleaning crew that called in a suspicious powder on the floor around the toilet ... the green tinge should have clued them in.

Since this whole mess began our little community of 2.1 Square Miles has been notified of at least 30 Anthrax Calls. These calls are not answered by our Fire Company but our Boro Emergency Management Coordinator {Also a Fire Co. Captain} responds to determine what help will be needed if any....The most notable call so far I have herd about was dried white out that had formed a powdery crust on an office table at our local hospital. Somebody saw the "Crust" and blew the whistle. This is one of the main reasons my fire company isn't toned for antrax calls. 90% of them have been hoaxes or mis understood substances. If our E.M. Coordinator determines the need he'll call for us
    ***The Opinions expressed here are strictly my own and do not reflect those of the Department to which I am a Member ! ***

Stratford Fire Co. # 1.."Any Job ~ Any Place ~ Any Time"

Check us Out www.stratfordfire.com

We have had numerous calls for suspicious white powder on the coffee counters of our local convenience stores....
    Bless all of our Fallen Brothers and Sisters. You will not be forgotten

we had an anthrax call a few weeks ago. we were getting ready for fire prevention day in town when the pagers went off. "Request for the Haz-Mat team...." well im on the hazmat team so my luck. We get there and who's walking out of the location of the "anthrax"? Ever hear of the term Copological Indicator? Out come 3 cops walking around the house that had "anthrax" in it. It turned out to be the power from the first tissue out of the box..but them cops arent too bright sometimes
    Chris Kerrigan
    ILiveInACage@aol.com
    FireFighter/EMT/HazMat Tech

New Milford Vol. Fire Dept Company #2
    New Milford,NJ

Forum Member

We call copologocal indicators grey/blue litmus paper, which, works out this way:

If upon arrival at a hazmat scene you see a police car in the road look for these three things:
    1. Are flares still burning? Is LEO still in uniform? If yes then substance is not flammable.
    2. Is paint still on police vehicle? If Yes then substance is not corrosive.
    3. Is LEO still standing? If Yes then substance is not poisonous.

A fourth one could be added to it. Although it would be a long wait for a result. Does LEO have (insert disease of choice here)? If no then Not (insert disease of choice here).

Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

how about this one. a person received a package containing a brown powder. it was from one of those love potion companies in las vegas. it was addressed to the person but he claims that he never ordered such things. the chief kept it for a souvenior of people who get caught by their wives.
    Firefighter/NREMT-B/Hazmat Tech
    To the Lord Jesus Christ: Thanks for providing a career where we can make a difference.

Originally posted by NMFD33:
    <STRONG>Ever hear of the term Copological Indicator? Out come 3 cops walking around the house that had "anthrax" in it. ..but them cops arent too bright sometimes</STRONG>
    That's like the cops in my town who upon arrival at a CO call inform me (from inside the house) that they don't smell anything.
    The above is MY OPINION only and not that of anyone else. I am not representing any organization in making a post here!!!!

"Suspicious white liquid leaking from a tank truck". A clearly marked milk truck.

A woman changed the cat litter and called us because the litter she was replacing didn't quite smell right. The rookie was assigned to check the litter for the proper odor and he assured the citizen that it smelled O.K. to him.

A man called because he found sediment in the bottom of a water glass left sitting on the counter for several days.

Forum Member

at the risk of getting in trouble.

Possible Anthrax.

Liquid leaking from envelope.

Result: Seamen

Nasty Huh!
    Proud to be IACOJ Illinois Chapter--Deemed "Crustworthy" Jan, 2003

What was that in an envelope for? And what test do you check for that?
    We had 2 families call about "white powder" on their turkeys. Protocol states the PD had to take them....probably had fish sticks for Thanksgiving! I can't wait until everyone starts baking Christmas cookies...we'll get "white powder" everywhere! Be Safe All
    Celeste

Thread Information