fireemt03
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default "plastic" cars

I was wondering if any one had any new ideas on using extrication tools on these newer plastic like cars.

With the material used, it makes things a little different.

Any tips would be great. It's not that I don't know how to use them but these newer cars pose a new challenge to us.

[Note: This message has been edited by rmoore]

cra539
    Firehouse.com Guest

In regards to the "plastic cars", we find we are using the recip saws often either in place of or in conjunction with the hydraulic cutters. The saws cut through the plastic materials FAST. Also,we tend to see the hinges exposed often on many cars, it seems when the cars crumple, a space at the front of the door is opened, if not its easy to expose (the saw or air chisel is effective on plastic). We often will use an impact wrench or 300 psi air chisel to unbolt or cut the hinges. Don't forget to have metric sockets. If the tools are preconnected they can be very fast and maybe even safer than using hydraulics. But you have to train on wrecked cars (either already wrecked or smash 'em with a loader or back hoe-both commonly available at junk yards). Get to know the cars out there well.

rmoore
    Firehouse.com Guest

Posting from Forum Moderator Ron Moore

I have received a donation of a 1998 Saturn four door sedan. It has been seriously rear-endedin a crash and is 'totaled' by the insurance company. Other than the trunk damage, the vehicle is in mint condition.

Both rear doors are jammed. Dual front airbags are intact. The engine runs!

I will be spending all day Friday February 26, 1999 cutting it up for both still photos and video footage.

The disection will take place in the Dallas Texas vicinity where I live.

If you would like to be present to observe or even participate in this invitational session, contact me for details. No charge to be there... just you have to get yourself there and pay your own expenses.

Let me know. <rmoore@firehouse.com>

J T Whidby
    Firehouse.com Guest

My question or concern about "Plastic Cars" is how to know if it is "plastic" or is it a "Composite Material"

My concern is the safety of the rescuer and patients when cutting or breaking composites due the hazards caused by the dust and small fragments.

My department uses dust mask during all extrications and a SCBA when composites are suspected. Are we being overly concerned?

J. T. Whidby

jtwhidby@aol.com

nbfd131
    Firehouse.com Guest

A recipicating saw well on any car but plastic cars seem like they always require them for something. Just remember that while there is plastic on the outside, there still is steel reinforcement on the inside to don't leave your hydraulic tools on the truck

Thread Information