hrt42
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default Prying doors with SIP's

Ron, I have been looking through the archives looking for information on doing disentanglement, with side impact air bags. Could someone please give me some pointers on this subject. Thanks

Larry Manasco
    Firehouse.com Guest

In a recent issue of Firehouse, U. of E. section, they discussed side-impact airbags. I do not remember the issue, but maybe someone can help out on that. I can tell you what I remember from the article.
    The first step was to identify the fact that the vehicle contains a side-impact airbag. Try to do this while exposing as little of yourself within the vehicle compartment as possible. On the base of the seat it will have molded into the actual plastic "airbag". Do not cut the battery of the car for this could cause a release of the airbag. Make an access point on the hinge side of the door. Use your spreaders to break the hinges. There was a specific order on which hinge is to be released first but I honestly can not remember. Once the hinges are freed then make another access point on the handle side of the door, at the Nader pin. Release the door from the Nader pin. Remove all personnel from the area next to the interior side of the door. Position the door perpendicular to the vehicle and then cut the wiring coming into the door from the vehicle. Carefully place the door a safe distance away from the scene, with the metal exterior side of the door facing down. In case of an accidental release of the airbag, the door will not become a projectile if placed in this position.
    Again, please try to find out the issue that this article was in to verify the accuracy of this statement.

Phred
    Firehouse.com Guest

hrt42 and Larry,
    You want to review Ron Moore's articles in October, November and December, 1998 Firehouse Magazine: 3-part series on
    "Scanning for Airbags". Parts 1 and 2 are available on this web site under University of Extrication section.

Larry Manasco
    Firehouse.com Guest

The issue that I spoke of earlier is the December issue of Firehouse. A few corrections from my earlier statement. One is to go ahead and cut the power first, with the knowledge that it might deploy the airbag. Second, you want to disengage the top hinge first, the bottom hinge is second. Last, you want to remove the window glass before attacking the hinges. This is an excellent how-to article on vehicle extrication involving side-impact airbags. Hope this information is helpful.

hrt42
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thanks Larry and Phred, for the help I did locate those issues of Firehouse. If I need any other help I will sure ask again for your knowlegde. Thanks again John

rmoore
    Firehouse.com Guest

A Posting From Ron Moore, Forum Moderator

More points to consider when opening jammed doors in vehicles equipped with SIPSbags;

1) The greatest concern is with the mechanical type activator found on the 1995-1998 MY Volvo. These seat-mounted SIPSbags DO NOT use electricity for any part of their operation. Shutting off electricity does nothing towards making the SIPSbag safer for rescuers. No capacitors on a mechanical bag!

When impacted, the initiator mounted on the outboard front corner of the seat frame fires like a cap gun. It is possible during rescue to impact and fire off this initiator during a door opening evolution.

For this reason, I suggested in the 12/98 Firehouse article to attack the door from the hinge side first if you have a choice. You avoid this plunger, should be able to pry the door down and away from the interior, and are farther from the SIPSbag electrical crash sensors on other makes and models.

All airbags on the MY 1999 Volvo line are now electrically fired. Mechanical bags ended after the '98 MY.

2) Anytime you are working on a door with a loaded SIPSbags, remember the door on the opposite side also has a SIPSbag. The only exception is the new model year 2000 Chevy Impala that only has one seat-mounted SIPSbag. It is inside the outboard edge of the driver's seat.

3) It is now possible to have a SIPSbag in all four doors of a four-door vehicle. Rear seat SIPSbags are now available on the 1999 BMW vehicle line, 3-,5- and 7-series vehicles. Each door has its' own bag inside, just above the armrest. Audi has rear seat-mounted SIPSbags.

3) When you move a door with a loaded SIPSbag to the debris area, place it armrest up. At manufacturing plants andauto repair facilities, they constantly warn workers about the possibility of bags accidentally deploying bags due to moisture or static electrical charges. I'd hate to see a door go flying through the air.

4) For training, take a magic marker and draw a SIPSbag outline on the inside trim of the door. Have the crew practice as if this were a loaded SIPSbag. Adds realism to our extrication training.

[Note: This message has been edited by rmoore]

fyrfytrdan
    Firehouse.com Guest

All excellent tips!! Everyone needs to be up to date with airbags. I'm in Lakeland, Fl. We have the second largest airbag manufacturer in the world located here. Breed Technologies They are quite a challenge having them in our response area, but are extremely helpful and co-operative with us. They give us tours and classes anytime they change production lines or production processes. The best thing they've done is gone away from using Sodium Azide in the process. It was used in the firing mechanism until 6 months ago. They set up an excellent class for any department that asks for it, a class done through GM. GM sends an employee to your department with all his airbag components and lecture materials. There is no cost !! GM wants to make sure we're all safe out there and that we know as much as possible about theyre product. Although they use electrically sensored switches now... don't forget there are alot of second generation after market bags out there!!! DON'T ASSUME that the airbag is dead because the battery is disconnected. IT MAY BE mechanically sensored. The smallest jolt can set it off. The mechanical sensor is merely a magnet holding back ball bearing from rolling and setting off the firing pin. Take care out there DAN

Thread Information