Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    BC White
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default Extrication Times: Do you keep track?

Is there a nation average for extrication complete? Who tracks or offers these stats?
    I know about the golden hour, but do any of your departments keep track of your extrication times? If so, when do you start the clock?
    My department tracks a number of things on an entrapment.
    -Staffing levels
    -Tools used
    -Weather conditions
    -Location of incident
    -Outside agencies
    -Time of day
    -Rescue officer action plans
    -Problems encountered
    -Ideas to improve or solve problems
    We track extrication complete 3 ways:
    -from dispatch to complete
    -from arrival of first unit (apparatus or Chief officer) to complete
    -from arrival of the Heavy Rescue to complete.
    All of this post incident information helps us with staffing justification, station location (building 2 stations in the next 3 years), equipment (tool) purchasing, and target training needs.
    We would like to use the national average (if there is one) to compair to in our annual report. This is more for our government officials and community.
    As everyone else, we (the department) will always srtive for a quicker/safer time every time out.

iwood51
    Firehouse.com Guest

Interesting concept, but who is doing this detailed tracking?
    You didn't indicate if you were paid, volly or combo and also does your department provide the EMS care or is that a seperate agency?
    My department (all volunteer) provides all functions for MVA's (Ambulance, Engine and Rescue) which gives a lot of overlap in firefighter duties, I don't know if it would be feasible for us to track this. My department is well trained in Rescue techniques (1st, 2nd and 4th placement in local Manufacturer sponsored extrication competitions) and we get more than our fair share of MVA's (We have an interstate, a state and a county highway running for miles through our district).
    I am looking forward to additional posts on this topic.

hrt42
    Firehouse.com Guest

We keep track of our extrication times, by the time the heavy rescue arrives on scene till the time the patient is removed from the vehicle.

e33
    Firehouse.com Guest

The time you should be targeting for is a 20 minute extrication time. This time is critical for patients which are trauma cases and reqiure rapid intervention. The 20 minutes is guaged from the time the rescue calls out on location to the time the patient has physically been freed from the car. Now to point out that some cases will be exceptions to the 20 minute rule. Some extrications are more time consuming and complicated, it is essential for the proper stabilization to be completed prior to any component displacement. For overturns and vehicles on their sides, it is critical that this be done. To accomplish such a time, you MUST multi-task (nobody has to hold the hydraulic hose for the guy operating the spreader). Divide tasks and make sure (as the officer) that they get done. A rapid inner-outer circle size-up followed by agressive stabilization is criticl for success in extrication. Know what you have, and plan how to handle it. It is also critical to practice all different types of stabilization before you are tested true on the street. Your stabilization shouldnt take any longer thn 5 minutes except for very odd situations. Remove components as needed, and the roof usually needs to go. Run hydraulic tools and sawzalls at the same time, cut posts in an "a", "c", "b" order if you are minimally staffed. It is crucial for time and efficency to operate more than one tool at a time. The complete time is radioed when the patient has physically cleared the vehicle, not when all components have been removed/displaced. A good hint is to carry a stopwatch too. If your dispatch center will not record your times, do it yourself.

BC White
    Firehouse.com Guest

iwood51,
    Congrats on your department's success in the comps. That is something to be proud of.
    Sorry I did not list any of my department info.
    We are a combo dept. with 35 volunteer members and 50 career (5 staff officers and 45 shift guy's. 15 per shift, split between 3 houses)
    We (one agency) do fire, rescue, and EMS (ALS & BLS).
    Our times are tracked by the dispatch center (as long as the IC remembers to advise our dispatch center when extrication is complete).
    When we do our post run reports, they (dispatch) give us our extriaction complete times.
    The rescue officer or IC completes what we call a "Rescue Job Sheet" after the run.
    This is where we document all of our incident info. The job sheet is seperate from our NFIRS reporting program.

hrt42
    Firehouse.com Guest

e33, is absolutely right about the 20 minute mark. But in order to accomplish this it will take alot of training. Each rescuer will need to be on the same page, when they come the truck. This will cut down your extrication times tremendously. We also do competitions, and they are a great way for training. We try to get all rescuers in sync so when they arrive, they know exactly what needs to be done. We also train 2 times a week during the summer months, and once a month in the winter.

RES6TRK
    Firehouse.com Guest

WE ARE A COMBO DEPARTMENT THAT DOES EMS AND RESCUE. FOR YEARS WE HAVE KEPT AN EXTRICATION TIME ON ALL ENTRAPPMENTS. THIS IS CALCULATED FROM THE ARRIVAL OF THE RESCUE SQUAD UNTILL THE OFFICER ADVISED COMMUNICATIONS THAT THE PATIENT IS EXTRICATED.OUR EXTRICATIONS ARE WHEN THE PATIENT IS CLEAR OF THE ENTRAPPMENT, NOT JUST ACCESS GAINED. IN A VEHICLE EXTRICATION THE PATIENT MUST BE ON THE BACK BOARD AND OUT OF THE VEHICLE IN ORDER FOR THE EXTRICATION TO BE COMPLETED. OUR AVERAGE TIME IS 10- 20 MINUTES. THIS IS WITH MINIMUAL MANNING OF 3 PERSONNEL.

------------------

Thread Information