LTSH1
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default Powerhawk Rescue Tools

Has anyone had an experience with the Powerhawk line of extrication equipment? I know they have the spreaders and cutters but they also have jacks and a few other tools. If you jave used these, what is the battery life? How do they compare to hydraulic as well as electric tools? My company was looking into the jacks and I believe a sawzall that they carry. Thanks for your comments.

DQuinn
    Firehouse.com Guest

We tried the Powerhawk cutter at a trade show/symposium about a year ago and none of us were too impressed. Of two battery packs which had been on charge overnight, neither provided much working time. One would not complete a roof removal before dying. The other (tried on a school bus-yes, tougher) gave up after three or four cuts. The rep was more than embarrased. Don't know whether any improvements have been made since then.

In Aug/98, at the Brighton comp., the only manual cutter avail. broke and we were forced to go to an uncommon alternate. A number of teams were pleased with a unit supplied by Churchill Equip., probably a Hurst, if I recall. Although heavy and requiring a shoulder strap for support, the recharge times were pushed to the limit, and I don't recall any complaints.

Having said that, we would have to consider the price to benefit ratio, as these tools are expensive. My humble opinion is that we can get more tool for the money.

Willy39
    Firehouse.com Guest

In response to DQuinn's comments about the Powerhawk, first let me say that I have used the Powerhawk for the last three years on many car extrications. Removing two doors and a complete roof without stopping. The battery pack also supplied light to the scene using the Hawkeye Light Kit along with supplying the Powerhawk Rescue tool without so much as a drop in power. Powerhawk
    spreading and cutting tools are superior in strength and durability.

I have also used the PowerRam to do complete dash rolls in a matter of minutes. The Powerhawk and battery pack have always been completely dependable. I, too, have cut up a
    school bus without any kind of battery or tool failure. Milwaukee also makes a sawzall to connect to the Powerhawk battery pack enabling you to use the Powerhawk and the sawzall simultaneously.

Another great feature about the Powerhawk is set up time - there isn't any.

I suggest you field test the Powerhawk. You
    may never want to use another hydraulic tool again.

[Note: This message has been edited by rmoore]

[This message has been edited by Willy39 (edited March 07, 1999).]

rshaw
    Firehouse.com Guest

I have used the tool, while it has it's purpose the big draw back that I personally see is that the tips are too narrow. It would be a good tool for a department that can not afford $18-20K for a power unit, spreaders, cutters and rams.

Where it would be good is at incidents where weight is a factor such as back packing in for a down aircraft, confined space, etc.

I also have see them used to cut the bar on cell doors in a jail, to my disbelieve they cut many bars off the same battery pack.

I don't think the the other companies will be making a battery series, but they do have a purpose in certain applications.

------------------
    Ron Shaw
    19 Baldwin Circle
    Plymouth, MA 02360

Sfrsc4
    Firehouse.com Guest

I am a Captain with Speedway Fire/Rescue. We use the "Power Hawk" rescue tool at the race tracks we cover. We are a specialty department that provides coverage to about 9 or 10 different circle tracks in the Quad Cities (Iowa and Illinois) area. We are sponsered by A-1 Fire Equipment out of Davenport, Iowa. After we aquired the "Power Hawk", our Chief who is also the owner of A-1 thought so highly of the "Power Hawk" he became a dealer for them. We have used them numerously in real rescues, and in trainings. We have popped 8 doors, and peeled 2 roofs off of one single charge of the supplyed battery. The thing you have to remember with this is, if you do kill the battery, you still can hook the jumper cables for the tool to the battery of the car you are cutting, or to your apperatus on scene.
    I am the service manager at A-1 Fire Equipment, but I am not a salesman for the "Power Hawk", however having used ours many times, I do believe that it is a truly great tool, and I would use it as the primary rescue tool in any situation. Use the hydraulics as back up.

Forum Member

Smile Love that Powerhawk

Just got the spreaders and cutters (plus the sawzall). The tool will do all 4 doors and hinges, all the roof pillars and more just from the battery. Then you can use the car battery you are cutting or plug into your own truck and have unlimited supply. The cutter cut through the hinges and steering column like butter. The tool is extremely quite - we can actually hear everyone talking and I love how light the tools are - for us older guys. The tool also pivots 90 degrees while working so you are not pushing in towards the patient while extricating the driver. I will always keep a heavy duty tool in the department. But, if I have my way, every truck will have a Powerhawk.

Forum Member

While the PH is a nice tool,in no shape or way would I regard it as superior to a HRT.In the last twenty or so "pin" jobs that I have worked a PH PROBABLY would not have got the job done;at least not in the time frame that the HRT's did.Deployment time for a hrt? If your lines are preconnected,no more than a PH.Same reason we favor corded saws over cordless,more duration.We've had two head-ons in the last two weeks.Prompt and proper actions by the Dept and Rescue have produced favorable results but the tools took a beating.If it were me,I'd rather put a PPU and a combi on every rig rather than a PH. But if PH's are your "thing" far be it from me to tell you otherwise.I've used one and I prefer ANYBODY's hrt over one.But part of that is geography based,when we have crashes they're generally bad. T.C.
    Last edited by Rescue101; 01-09-2006 at 09:07 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

rescue 101 are you talking about howell rescue tools?

Forum Member

387,I'm not sure I understand your question.If it is in regard to my preference to "anyones"HRT over the PH,then no,I'm not referring to Howell.Rather to Amkus,TNT,Hurst,Holmatro,Genisis etc.The PH does have it's place,just not here.Before you ask,yes I have used the PH and since I've been "spoiled" by "real" tools we will probably stay with the heavy hydraulics.As I said earlier,with them pre-connected to the power unit deployment time is virtually the same.Nobody in our immediate area uses the PH,not that that fact holds any special meaning.But then again,I prefer corded tools to cordless so there ya go. T.C.

Forum Member

HRT = Hydraulic Rescue Tools ... at least that was how I took it.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Forum Member

And right you would be Medic. T.C.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101
    And right you would be Medic. T.C.
    Yippie!!! I love it when I am right.. it happens so little I have to enjoy it when I can!!!
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Thread Information