Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    RESCUEJCK
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default Displacing Pedals with seatbelts

Has anyone ever heard of using a seatbelt, tide in a loop and wrapped around the Bake, or clutch pedal to displace them.
    If not , heres how to do it.
    1. Take a seatbelt, out of the car that you are working on, and pull it all the way out, then cut it.
    2. Take the seatbelt and tie it in a loop using a "water knot".
    3. Run it around the pedal that you need to displace, and run it through itself.
    4. Place a spreader, with the tips facing towards the back of the car against the front fender, or kick panel area.
    5. Place the end of the loop that you have left, over the tip of the spreader, and open the jaws (Oh ya, you have to remove the door before you do any of this)

I tried this at a recent class that I was teaching, and it worked rather well. It not only pulls the pedal to the side, but up as well. I also recommend that you use a new belt everytime, and don't use a belt that was being used by an occupant of the vehical. (Remember the rules for rope that has been used in a rescue)

iwood51
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wouldn't a dash displacement using rams be much better than relying on an, at best, questionable piece of equipment?

sgt128
    Firehouse.com Guest

Has anybody tried using RABBIT TOOL cutters to remove pedals. I have done this a few times with a lot of success. The cutters open just wide enough to fit behind the pedal and cut.
    The cutters will even cut through the big pedals on a tractor we had to cut.
    If you already have the RABBIT TOOL, you should consider this tool, or consider getting one.

rshaw
    Firehouse.com Guest

You can also use a rope or chain for displacing foot pedals. As you know the strength of foot pedals are designed to exert pressure downward and not to the side. If you were to attach a rope or seat belt material to the petal and pull to the side, the petal will easily give way. It's a good alternative to the more costly hydralic tools. Next time your at a drill, if a door is able to open 90 degrees try leaving it on. There should be no need to remove it, leave it in place and move on to the next task. Even displacing the dash can be done with both driver an passenger doors on and opened at 90 degrees. If the door is lift on while you are displacing the foot pedal, attach your rope or seatbelt material to the door. You can now use this to your advantage and regulate the degree of pull better.

Thread Information