Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    rmoore
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default Sport Utility Vehicle Stabilization

A Thread from Ron Moore

Sport Utility Vehicle Stabilization

How do you stabilize a full-size sport utility vehicle at a crash scene sitting on inflated tires on a level surface?

Ground clearance is much more than a normal automobile.

Tire diameter is larger than a normal automobile. 17, 18 or 19 inch is becoming popular. It's not unusual to find an SUV or pickup truck tire with a diameter of 31 inches or more.

Vehicle weight can be much, much more than a car. A Suburban weighs in around 8,000 GVW and the new Ford Excursion has a GVW of 9,300lbs.

What do you do?

e33
    Firehouse.com Guest

Box crib, (using 4x4 or 6x6 cribbing which is 24" long)or box crib up one or 2 layers to set a step chock. A 2 by 2 box crib made out of 4x4 wood holds approxamatley 24000 lbs as a general rule, no problemo for suburbans. If you make the top layer of box crib solid, it allows for placement of wedges, either between the frame and the box crib, or under the step chock if that is the route you travel. Its really rather simple.

J T Whidby
    Firehouse.com Guest

My department uses the exact method as e33 above. NO DEFLATED TIRES

Zmag
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thats right the tried and true box crib is one answer. But ..... according to the math that I ran it takes about 38-42 4x4's to build a box crib under each rear corner of a Dodge pick up truck. My question is, how long does it take how many guys to carry 40 pieces of cribbing from point A to point B, build it, wedge it, and secure it ?? Lets me 100% honest with each other. What is the number one thing stressed in all basic vehicle rescue classes ? ... Stabilazation. What is the number one thing neglected at the scene ? ... Stabilazation. Why ? Its a HUGE committment of time, material, and manpower. What if a new system was available that would provide rock solid stabilazation in under 2 minutes with a single rescuer ? Check out Ron's article in last months Firehouse, or past issues of Fire/Rescue Magazine. Or stop by my new website, www.zmagrescue.com

DQuinn
    Firehouse.com Guest

This is one area where the value of extrication competitions can be seen. Competitions are often the testing ground for new techniques, and cribbing is highly stressed. A number of innovative ideas have been seen, such as having crib blocks pre-set, using a variety of methods. One which comes to mind was fashioned by Mississauga Fire, in which they fasten two sets of 4X4's to a semi-rigid material (such as conveyor belt or truck flap), with a handle made from seat belt, in such a way that they interlock for carrying and one man can carry, split and set up a box four high in seconds. That's sixteen 4X4's in one carry. If needed for a bag lift, the top layer is left intact to provide a solid surface for the lift bag. A number of teams in Ontario, New York and Pennsylvania are now using variations of this and it has been reported that it has made its way onto some of the trucks.

Zmag
    Firehouse.com Guest

Good point DQ, I also saw the Mississagua cribbing and made up 3 sets for my department. We love them and I always give full credit to the Mississagua crew when ever anyone asks about them. I have several pictures of the setup. If anyone would like to see them I'll scan them and email them to you. Just email me at Zmagrescue@aol.com

RescueLogic
    Firehouse.com Guest

The new telescopic tension buttress units will extend from 16" to 36" allowing attachment to the frame area, 2 units placed at angles are tensioned together. As the units are drawn together they will take pressure off of the suspension. only takes one rescuer less than 2 minutes to do a complete job with only one trip from the squad.

[This message has been edited by RescueLogic (edited April 16, 1999).]

Thread Information