billy
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default Spanner/Glass Tool

First, I'm NOT subjecting the readers to a commercial. However, have you folks seen the new spanner/glass tool from TFT. The tool has a cutter for seat belts, a point for breaking glass, and serves as a spanner with gas shut-off. A fairly neat tool which sells for about $20. I've used the tool in training and it works well. Anyone else with experience? If so, lets get any improvement ideas to the mfg. before too many are sold.

Phred
    Firehouse.com Guest

billy,
    It looks nice, but I've got two questions:
    What size hose will it work with (1.0" to 4 or 5" Storz?) and How does the glass breaker work (spring loaded punch or do you strike the whole tool like a hammer)?

billy
    Firehouse.com Guest

Common size spanner wrench. Glass is broken when struck with hammer type blow from a fixed point. Hope this helps.

S. Cook
    Firehouse.com Guest

The gas shut off didn't fit the gas meters we tried it on, the slot needs to be about 1/8" wider/longer.

Otherwise, seemed like a pretty good tool.

Nozzle
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hi fellas, There is more information on the resc-q-rench at www.tft.com . I can answer a couple of questions here.
    1. The window breaker is a carbide point. We found that the spring loading is not the key, the sharpness is. (we were going to put the spring loading in it) We took it to a junk yard and busted out scads of windows and it works like a champ.

2. It will not fit all gas cocks. It fits most of them. We went to our local gas company where they had a display with dozens of them and we had to make some choices as to what we could fit. The torque required for the big industrial ones was to much for a nylon tool so we limited the size of it so that it would have enough torque.

3. It fits all couplings that we know of from 1 inch up to 5 inch storz. it will depress the locks on most (Our page does not show it doing the locks, opps that was dumb). It will NOT work on the storx made by kocheck as they machine them out of solid and make their own locks and it just does not line up. Still works as a spanner but does not depress the locks.

4. The blade is not replaceable, if you cut that many that you dull it its time for a new tool.

5. It works GREAT at holding doors open. Just hook it over the hinge and it will hold the door at about a 70 degree angle.

6. The webbing cutter works great on clothing, it will take the jeans off an injured leg in no time.

7. It is NOT meant to do big couplings like suction hose, just not a part of the plan.

8. its just one more tool in the bag, won't do it all but it does a lot and its light weight!

------------------

Nozzle
    Firehouse.com Guest

We just upgraded it a bit more and put an oxygen tank wrench hole in it. On some bottles the gages get in the way but heck it was free to add in so we did. Sometimes at TFT we have a hard time stopping the improvements

------------------

Zmag
    Firehouse.com Guest

I see the spanner wrench as the second best thing to come from the people at TFT. The first one has still got to be the "Hot Wings Contest" at "Hooters" at the FDIC. Still got my tee shirt.

Zmag

Thread Information