Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: HAND TOOLS

AJM108
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question HAND TOOLS

In August my departments extrication team went to a tournament which had a limited (hand tools only)and an unlimited(all tools) scenarios.
    This is the first time we actually used just hand tools to gain entry to a car and I was amazied how well and fast the hand tools worked.
    My question is what types of tools other departments use and how often are they used at mva's?

------------------
    AJM108

Nathan
    Firehouse.com Guest

Probably the most used handtool in our arsenal is the socket set. We use them heaps for removing the door from it's hinges (on cars). It takes about the same time as using the shears, or spreading the door right off, but without all the noise. Also, paramedics can access the patient while we're still working.

BURNSEMS
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Howdy , Our Department utilizes several Hand tools 2 Hacksaws, 2 Bumper Jacks, 1 Black and Decker Recip Saw, 8 ton Come a long w/ 2 20 Ft Sections of Chain, 10 ton Porta Power w/ Rams, Complete Socket Set with Power Driver, Glass Master, we can have alot done before our Mutual aid arrives with Power Tools but as with any thing it Takes Practice, we will Obtain Power Spreaders and Cutters one day.

------------------
    Here today for a Safer Tomorrow

TXBUFF
    Firehouse.com Guest

I am trying to set up a training class for my department on extrication just using hand tools. This is the first department I have been with that doesn't have any jaws or cutters. I was wondering if anyone had any lesson plans or any ideas on which tools and how to use them for extrication. We have recipricating saws (I heard that soap and water are a good lubricant), a sawzall, and all the hand tools. Any input would be great.

Todd Haines
    wfd@swbell.net

emsbrando
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

I have a lesson Plan for the Hand Tools Extrication Course that I use when teaching at the Municipal Fire School at Texas A&M each July. If you want I could e-mail you the plan which includes the equipment used in the course. You should get some of your members enrolled in the Rescue 1 section of this school if you can. I teach Hand Tool Extrication and if I can be of any more assistance, let me know. WD-40 is better than soap and water, it doesn't gum up anything, but yes soap and water is a good lubricante as well as it helps to cool the blade.

Ed Brando

TXBUFF
    Firehouse.com Guest

That would be great if you could email me the lesson plan. The department is just south of Houston, Nassau Bay and I will make sure that I get people enrolled to those classes. Thanks and we will experiment with both WD-40 and soap and water.

Rescue 42
    Firehouse.com Guest

Ed, I would also be very interested in your manual tool material. Would you please send to

Tim O'Connell
    Rescue 42, Inc.
    3060 Thorntree #80
    Chico, CA 95973
    Tim@rescue42.com

I am always looking for more good info to implement into our departments training programs (as well as looking for idea's for new tools...).

As to good hand tools, my company is the manufacturer of the JackMate tool, which converts a standard Hi-Lift jack into a 7,000 Lb. spreader, crusher, clamp, winch, etc. For about $50. It makes the Hi-Lift into a true rescue tool. We routinely blow car doors off with it, do dash rolls, crush security bars, spread door jams off the deadbolt for forcible entry, etc. I believe it is an outstanding addition to ALL rescue tool complements (even our ENGINES are carrying them!)

Sorry for the shameless plug, but I'm not sure how else to tell you...

Tim

------------------
    www.rescue42.com

[This message has been edited by Rescue 42 (edited October 14, 1999).]

Thread Information