wfo
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post SHOULD EMS WEAR PPE AT EXTRICATION SCENE

WE DO FIRE AND RESCUE.EMS IS PROVIDED BY PRIVITE SOURCE..THERE PPE IS RUBBER GLOVES ONLY.WE WEAR FULL PPE AND EYE PROTECTION.WHAT DO YOU DO TO WAKE THEM UP?

Ron Shaw
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

New time your department has training, break the ice with some of the private EMS companies that respond in your area and ask them to join in. Once they see how you operate perhaps their company or individuals will follow the leaders in PPE.

Would one of the Extrication Jump suits with a rescue type helmet and safety glasses be acceptable to you?

------------------
    Ron Shaw
    http://www.extrication.com

NVFD933
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

wfo,
    When your dept. arrives at a MVA with a pin in does your senior officer assume IC(incident comand)?
    If he or she does, then that person is responsible for everyone that enters the sen which would include even private ems providers. He/she would not be out of line by have them wear all of thier PPE. Yall may need to carry extra eye/face protection until they get the message, I think the key word is consistency. If your IC is going to make them wear all of thier PPE,it will have to be every time not just on extremely messy extrications. Also have your cheif contact there cheif or supervisor and inform them that your departmants policy is that all emergency service personal wear all PPE at all times during any extrication procedures.
    Who knows, it may be thier policy also they just dont enforce it.
    These are just my opinions, but I must say it is good to hear that yall are taking care of your selves by wearing your PPE.
    Stay safe
    Rick
    talltxns@powwwer.net

------------------
    NVFD933
    TALLTXNS@POWWWER.NET

BURNSEMS
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

ABSOLUTLY, what good are they if they cant get close to the Patient for Fear of Injury
    Our EMS also comes from a private source,, howevere through trial and Error and a Little Trust among groups they have Learned what we Expect and we Know what they expect, we Keep Extra Helments and Coats on our Response Vehicle and they normaly Know right were to go to get it,, we dont have Jaws so we utilize another Department.. we do Basic Extrication, Remove Windshield, Flap the Roof ect, If it Requires a Dash Roll or other manuver then They Call it,, while our EMS folks provide care, when its complete E.M.S. can move the Patient.. It works most of the Time

morriss
    Firehouse.com Guest

I say "YES". In my area, the EMS personnel are a separate agency. We have issues with command and control of motor vehicle accidents. Some of these issues involve minimum PPE. I had a similar post in this forum and received unanimous responses that all personnel working in the hazard area should have PPE. If one person is protected from injury, then it is worth it to wear the PPE on every extrication.

e33
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

In response to the topic question "Should EMS wear PPE at extrication scene?"...my answer is....if they operate in the hot zone, yes. If not, no. Of course all EMS folk should have their reflective trim jacket on at night, but thats a different issue. If your EMS people wanna work in the heat of the battle, dress them in the right armor or make an issue about it.

JawOLife
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

Ron Shaw and NVFD933 both had good remarks that I agree with. Its a touchy situation and it can go in many directions. In my own opinion, it seems to be common sence for EVERYONE to wear PPE. Once you enter the zone, you are a liability, its just a matter of who's. Our protocol for MVAs are very basic. PPE should be on before you arrive on scene. - No matter what the scenario is. We tend to lean on the theory of "Better safe than sorry"- The first thing I learned is that anything can happen at any time. If your EMS provider is not aware of that, then they have not been around very long, and they are going to find out the hard way what "PPE" means. You are protecting yourself and others. If you do not at least accomplish that, you are defeating the purpose of why we are there. If you go down, now you have just one more victim to deal with. Training, and a little patience with your EMS provider may be the key as noted by Ron before. If they see everyone protected it just may rub off on them. You could also ask one of your medics what happens if they end up injured and they are not covered due to the fact that they were not protected. Your EMS provider must have some sort of an SOP for this. If not, they'd better get moving.

blackhat
    Firehouse.com Guest

In my department the ems service is the fire department. SOP requires that all personnel be in ppe. We dress down later in the truck bus. If you don't take precaution now you won't be doing the job later.

chief4102
    Firehouse.com Guest

All of you are absolutely correct, PPE should be worn by EVERYONE involved in an extrication. The county operated EMS system that I work for does NOT provide bunker gear or even hard hats and leather gloves. One former director once stated to me when asked about the situation that he "didn't want his medics looking like firefighters." Another time, I was chewed out for wearing my FD issued turnouts while working on the ambulance during stand-by at a house fire on a bitter winter day. At this time, none of the EMS personel in this county wear proper PPE at scenes. No one wants to be fired. Be Safe

Thread Information