AFFF
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post New Door Removal Tech.

I have recently took our squad to a vo-tech school for a vehicle rescue class. At this class I was just the operator but I knew the instructors at the class and they allowed me to participate in it because of the class was high school students and some were under age.

At the class I learned a new door removal tech.. They call it tthe two door wide out. I call it the two door swing.

You start by at the latch side of the rear door and pop the door. Then you cut the B post at the top twords the roof. Then you cut the B post at the bottom twords the floor and insert the spreaders in the cut and and spread it apart. This will basiclly rip the rest that the cutters did not cut. Then after you do that you can swing the doors together and then expose the hinges. then you can take and CUT the hinges. Yes I said cut the hinges. Then you have both doors gone in a short period of time.

This is quick but you need to have the correct tools and a good working knowledge of rescue system. I know that in most vehicle rescue classes they tell you not to cut the hinges but that is old technology in rescue systems. The new technology has changed all that.

The reason I said that is the instructor in the class was a salesman/maintenace person for Amkus. This person also does NASCAR races as the rescue personnel.

This tool has taken over for the two door lay down which left the doors in your way when you needed to get the rest of the work done. This operation you do not work with any doors in your way.

I have not gotten the chance to do this on a call yet but have done in training several times and it is AWSOME.

Stay Safe and Up To Date.

K Romer
    Firehouse.com Guest

AFFF... it's not "new" unless you have never seen it before. I have been doing that and teaching that same technique for many years.

As for using the spreader to rip the B post... try a ram next time.

As far as cutting hinges, I agree with you. Unfortunately, some education on how to cut a hinge is in order to prevent potential tool damage.

------------------
    Kevin Romer
    "Performance is Everything!!"

Ken Metzler
    Firehouse.com Guest

tried to post twice so this is a test

------------------
    Ken Metzler

Ken Metzler
    Firehouse.com Guest

Another option, Take rear door at pin side( remember if you can get above it and roll the door down and away it is generaly alot easier)cut B post ( feel inside before you make the cut, seatbelts...)take hinges on front door, just like you did. Take spreader in a verticle position jaws down and pinch B post. Pull down and fold the whole side down, tool is a great lever arm and the weight of the tool will make your job a lot easier. Remember cribbing and dont rock the boat, as Kevin said its been around awhile and great to see the "old Ideas" from Gray Hairs still in use. Keep Safe & Adios Ken

SGreen
    Firehouse.com Guest

The evolution you described was also taught to me a few years ago by an Amkus rep. He called it the "ripping blitzer". Try cutting the top of the "B" post after you have pushed the bottom of the "B" off of the rocker. It helps control the weight of the two doors swinging out. You can also make the cut on the bottom of the post with a saw or a chisel. You just need to weaken the post and give the metal a place to start coming apart. I was also taught to place one tip on the rocker and the other tip on the bottom of the rear door hinge for a good push point and the proper angle to make the doors go out and not up.

------------------
    Lt.Green
    Warren Twp Fire

[This message has been edited by SGreen (edited October 12, 1999).]

AFFF
    Firehouse.com Guest

I believe what Ken is talking about is the two door lay down and that is what I was talking about with all the stuff lying around and having to work with it. That is what I do not like about that yes it maybe qicker but it is too messy. The two door swing or what ever you wish to call it gets the stuff out of the way even if you are in a hurry.

As far as me saying this is new thanks for someone saying it is not. I guess this just means that it is only new to our area.

Gotta go stay safe.

AFFF

Thread Information