Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Llifting Bags

JPerkMCFD3
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Llifting Bags

I've been reviewing literature on the various type of lifting bags. Some make reference to steel others refer to Kevlar internal support. What are the advantages or disadvantages of each? Has anyone had good or bad experieinces with either one?

Our current set has steel, but I am researching for a purchase.

Thanks

Default Another Archive...

My understanding of kevlar vs steel wire is that with the moisture that is often in the air we use to inflate bags, it can rapidly increase the corrosion of the steel wire in the bags. Obviously kevlar would not have this problem.

How many departments regularly have their lifting bags tested and certified either by the manufacturer or an independant person?
    Luke

kevlar bags are a little lighter and thinner when stored and eliminate the worries of degradation due to moisture, but they cost a little more. rember that airbags have a shelf life and should be replaced when out-of-date, regardless of whether they have been used or not.

I dont believe in replacing the lift bags just cause they are past their shelf life date,it is just like fire hose, you can test it and it can pass, and then on the next call it can burst, the same can happen to lift bags, so crib as you go, and replace them when they need replacing for a legitimate reason.

Thread Information