Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    phayes
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation BagBuster- Airbag Safety

Has anybody heard of the "BagBuster". It is a tool to put over the drivers side airbag to protect rescuers in cases of spontaneous deployment. What departments besides us here in Stamford,CT use it? Is it safe? What are your feelings? Thanks.

Lt. Phil Hayes
    Stamford, CT

doughcfc
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have two in our department. They do work better than the Holmotro bag, but they are not bulletproof. At the International competition in Florida this year, we were informed that it would be safer to not use them, and to simply avoid the airbag area altogether. It's a great idea, but they do fail.

------------------
    Claymont Fire Company
    Claymont Delaware

K Romer
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

There is always one or more topics that will spark someone to post replies. Sometimes they are good topics, sometimes they are bad.

One of mine happens to be the "Bagbuster". I personally have a problem with putting a plate of steel, with many spikes, on a steering ring (that is most likely damaged anyway)in front of a victim.

Airbags deploy somewhere in the range of 200+ mph. Imagine that speed, and getting hit in the face with that plate of steel. Has it happened.... I haven't heard of one....could it happen....MOST CERTAINLY.

Another issue on the Bagbuster is that... how many vehicles have just the column bag?? Sure there were those years that they were the only ones but it goes back to my previous question.

Leave the BagBuster where it does it's best work... at the dealer.

Information only... as a dealer of rescue equipment.... you can "buy" one from me but I won't "sell" one to you. Meaning, I believe in every product I "sell", but you will hear me ramble on about the above and the $600.00 price tag is absolutely ridiculous.

My take on the post......

------------------
    Kevin Romer
    "Performance is Everything!!"

Ron Shaw
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

I give Kevin Romer great respect for his post as a dealer that will not sell this or simular products.

If you go back through the threads on this site you will find this has been touched on before. I was completely in favor of this device and those made by Holmatro, Code 3, Amkus and any others from Europe where most of the soft fabric devices are made. But while Ron Moore and I were riding back from Dallas from shooting a film, we got into this discussion. He completely turned my point of view around.

My idea like most of you was what ever it takes to protect us the resucer I want to use it. But is it really protecting us or potentially setting us up for an injury?

While the product seems to be a great idea what is between the airbag and your patient?

It is a device that your department owns and your department put there. The DOT, airbag and auto industry spells it out; Do Not Put Any Hard Device Or Try to Restrain The Airbag System!!!

Now if there is a failure of the restraining device or the steering wheel assembly who is liable for injuries sustained? And there have been failures!

If there is a failure the injuries sustained from restaint device could be worse than that of the airbag. All of the restraints have some type of metal device which could inflict injuries. Buyer beware!

I was asked if I would teach a class to a department with such a device and I refused, I explained the possibilities and suggested that if they still wanted to use the device that they should have the representative of the manufacturer give the instruction. If there is an injury, the lawyers will be coming out of the woodwork for this one and for sure the person giving the instruction will be named in the suit. If you hear of such a case let me know, I want to see if the law firm has a listing on the stock market.

As a suggestion, keep a safe distance from all undeployed airbags regardless if the battery has been disconnected. There maybe a mechanical sensor (95 Jeep as an example), back feed from after market products, on board computers that can hold a charge for 30 days after battery disconnect and even static electricity. While you may take a hit from being too close, you surely are going to suffer greater injuries if a heavy steel plate with sharp teeth on the back comes hurling through the air at you or your patient.

I have seen a video where a 150 lb mankin leaning on an airbag broke the seat back as it was hurled like a toy doll during a test from a deployed airbag. What would it do if you have a Bag Buster attached to the steering wheel and the ring fails or it is improperly installed. Please think this one over!

------------------
    Ron Shaw
    http://www.extrication.com

Thread Information