billy
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Synthetic slings vs. chains

How many folks use synthetic slings versus chains. The synthetics are stronger...and cheaper. What's your experiences?

e33
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have 3 sets of nylon lifting slings in our kit. They are each different sized and i am not sure of capacities off the top of my head. We also have 4 clevices and 4 steel bars in the kit. In some concrete slabs there are "pockets" where we can feed the strap through and feed the bar through the loop in the strap to lift the slabs. We can also sling the load underneath and hook it to a crane.

------------------
    The opinions and views expressed herin are solely mine and not on the behalf of any department or organization I belong to.

billy
    Firehouse.com Guest

e33,

Do you use them during vehicle rescue? If so, how?

e33
    Firehouse.com Guest

Not usually...we have about 10 industrial 2" web ratchet straps with various lengths and styles for that stuff.

------------------
    The opinions and views expressed herin are solely mine and not on the behalf of any department or organization I belong to.

Zmag
    Firehouse.com Guest

Pro's and con's of both. I have put together a handy little bag I call the "Z-Strap". It's a 30 foot military grade strap with a 15,000 pound rating. Your standard transportation chain is only 6,600 pounds so right off the bat we have over twice the strength. One of the advantages of chain is the ability to form a loop with a grab hook, usally with straps you are stuck with the fixed length and fixed loops. The Z-Strap comes with 3 quick attach buckles that can quickly afix to any spot on the strap. I have also included a user friendly ratchet take-up strap. I have watched many teams get their butts kicked by a 30 foot ratchet strap. I have attempted to design an idiot proof model (I know, they keep makeing better idiots. The whole system comes in a nylon bag and weighs less then 10 pounds. A 30 foot chain would weigh over 40 pounds. We have used the strap to stabilize a car to a jersey wall, hyper-extend doors, "Marry" vehicles, and do anything that you would use a chain for. There are pics of it on my website at Zmagrescue.com (The price on the webpage is way too high, typo error). I have a few new pics of it to scan. Call me if intrested.
    Zmag

Chops
    Firehouse.com Guest

We've been looking into the straps not as an advantage over chains, but as the cumbsome attributes of using chains as stabilization media.
    We have found even the most competent of personnel can have a hard time using a chain or even cable come-a-long. The maintenance on these items and limitations (unit weight, rated force) has had us looking elsewhere.
    The straps are great. However, what type of end would you recommend? Some companies offer a bar with multiple frame-bars that fit in the factory frame holes. Just wondering.

Dan Nichols

wfo
    Firehouse.com Guest

BILLY TO ME CHAIN IS LIKE OAK OR (HARD WOOD)CRIBBING AS SYNTHETIC IS LIKE PINE (SOFT WOOD)HARD WOOD DOSE NOT BEND FIRST IT BREAKS LIKE A CHAIN.PINE WILL BEND SOME AND GIVE TO WHAT POINT?LIKE A STRAP!YOU CAN USE A RUSTY CHAIN CAN YOU USE A ROTTEN STRAP?YOU CAN LOOSEN UP A FROZEN CHAIN WHAT ABOUT A SYNTHETIC STRAP? TO ME EACH ONE HAS THERE TIME AND PLACE!

------------------

Thread Information