RSQLT4
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question adjustable pedals

Does anyone know the specific models of mercury vehicles that have the adjustable brake and gas pedals, I also believe that the lincoln navigator is equipped with these pedals.

Where are the controls for these pedals located, and will they move enough to help remove someones feet that may be trapped?

Are there any other manufacturers that are installing these in their cars, or that are planning to do in the future?

I feel that it may be beneficial to have the option to move the pedals and seat before cutting the power from the battery, what do you guys think?

MetalMedic
    Firehouse.com Guest

Red face

Not sure what models they are offered in. I saw a commercial for them on television recently. I am sure your local Lincoln/Mercury Dealer would be more than happy to show you what cars have them.

As for leaving the power connected to move seats and pedals. I think the need to powerdown the SRS and the possibility of the motors operating the seats and pedals acting as an ignition source make it important to disconnect the battery ASAP.

Pedals can be easily dealt with with just a jerk of a chain hooked to the metal arm above the pedal. Seats are really no match for a hydraulic tool. I think you are better of when you provide the power to move things in an extrication, and not allow the vehicle you are working with to do it for you.

------------------
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

RSQLT4
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Good to here from you MetalMedic, I understand that we should powerdown the srs quickly, for our protection and the patients protection, but no one can tell us for sure how long the srs holds power after we disconnect the battery.

I feel by using the power seats we can easily, and quickly move the patient away from the airbag,giving us an extra margin of safety.

We would not have to do this on every rescue, but many times I have seen shorter people, and women that are less than ten inches from the steering wheel, these are the people that can benefit from this.

I have not heard of an incident when using the power equipment in the vehicle has caused a fire, has this happened?

Also does anyone know if using the power equipment of a vehicle that is wrecked, can cause the airbags to deploy.

MetalMedic
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

Hi RESQLT4! I do see pros and cons on this issue. I am not aware of any fires or airbag deployment from using the factory installed equipment. My concern is that the integrity of the car has changed because of the accident. Therefore, I assume the worst and hope for the best. There could be exposed wiring or damaged insulation on the electric motors that operate these devices that could create a fire hazard. I also am not comfortable with activating a switch and expecting it to stop when I release it after the vehicle has been in an accident. You could solve one problem and create another.

As I posted before, I prefer to move the seats and pedals with my own power source that I feel I have reasonable control over. Will be interesting to see if anyone has had experience, good or bad, with moving these devises before disconnecting the power.

Stay Safe!

------------------
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

Ken Metzler
    Firehouse.com Guest

Interesting topic, I will do some checking on the pedals... Pro and con on the power I agree with you both, We dont generaly disconect the battery (sacrilege I know )Most of the wrecks we work the front end is so screwed up we have the PT. out by the time they get the hood up. Also consider the location of the battery it may be in the backseat... We also offer same day service on a lot of our wrecks due to the travel time and have used the power to run the heater and keep the pt. warm when its -20 out side and to activate the electric locks, seats and windows... Havent had a problem (YET)I think we all agree that no two wrecks are the same and good common sense is the most important thing.

------------------
    Ken Metzler

Thread Information