Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    JFIRE18
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post DeWalt 24 volt cordless saws

I'm interested in hearing if anyone has any information on the new DeWalt 24 volt cordless saw?

AmerRescueLinks
    Firehouse.com Guest

Well not persay on the saws thenselves, but DeWalt is coming out with a "Rescue" line kit that is made especially for Rescue and Extrication. The blades are supposed to be made for extrication...ect...ect...

In the past we have used the DeWalt saws with good results. They are good for use whe it is raining and it is one less cord streatched across the scene, just be sure to have plenty of batteries that are charging so you can switch out. Hope this helps some.

Ed Reeder

MetalMedic
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

DeWalt Rescue line.. Can't wait to see that. I have worked some with Milwakee Battery powered saws. They are very handy on the scene, but batteries are the weak point. They also failed over time, but these were being used for heavy rescue classes.. much more abuse than the average department would put them through.

------------------
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

MetalMedic
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

Funny thing happened at the office today... the Chief asked me to check on battery operated saws. I am very interested in the DeWalt Rescue units.... and whatever else ends up posted here... Hope to see some more postings soon.

------------------
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

Zmag
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

A new device is available that will address the battery problem. I have a little first hand knowledge of it but not enough to be an expert for all your questions. It is known as the "Nomad System". Basicly it is a power pack which contains 3 Dewalt batteries wired together in a handy belt pak. The battery on the tool is replaced by a plug in adaptor from the Nomad. This gives the tool 3 to 4 times the power and life. The Nomad was tried and used successfully at several extrication compitions this past year. It gives you cordless mobility with corded power. I know of several extrication dealers already handling the Nomad. For more info check their website at Http://www.nomad.fiskars.com Email me if intrested, I'll link you up with someone who can give you a quote.

Zmag

wfo
    Firehouse.com Guest

WE ARE INLINE TO GET THE FIRST SAW OFF THE PRODUCTION LINE.AS SOON AS IT IS DELIVERED I WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW WELL IT WORKS FOR OUR DEPT. I AM SURE IT WILL BE A GREAT SAW BECAUSE OF THE WORK THAT HAS GONE INTO DEVOLOPING IT FOR EXTRICATION BY THE BEST IN THIS FIELD. EDDIE S. WINCHESTER TN.

------------------

kbud
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Had a 24volt saw loaned to us a few weeks ago by a local Dewalt rep(day after he recieved it). Didn't put a stopwatch on it, but the runtime on one battery seemed to be about double that of an 18volt. The saw performed well, no surprise there, and had a few new features the 18volts don't- spare blade holder underneath the saw for a 6in. blade, speed control dial on top in addition to the trigger control, and an adjustable shoe so you can use more of the blade. It also has a longer stroke length, 1 1/8 in. A neighboring dept. just ordered 10 of the 24's from Graingers, and I saw them up at Home Depot the other day for about $300. Dewalt guy said the converters should be available by the end of this month( slide on in place of the battery, plug in to outlet and run as a corded tool, around $110 each).
    I spoke to a Fiskars rep(Nomad system) at a conference in Oct. Nomad system not compatible with the 24 volt system yet, but maybe available in the future.

mhas
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

I had the chance to use the 24v dewalt at this years Internation vehicle rescue compition in sept with the fiskers battery pack. The 24v sawsaw works great and with the battery pack, and it does last alot longer for those extended extrication. And i was wondering since i used it in sept and it didn't hit the market till dec why where they holding back. When it came out i saw it at home depot and saw they changed the style of the battery. The ones we used in the compition had the same battery style as the 18v. But the bottom line my opinion is for a battery powered sawsaw it is one of the better ones on they market. And to Zmag I'll see you in maryland in april.

MetalMedic
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

Is the "Rescue Kit" out yet? If so, can someone tell me the model number for it from DeWalt? One of our members has priced a 24-volt saw, but we don't know if it is the one designed for rescue use.

------------------
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

Jaguar911
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

Im interested in the 18v & 24v sawzall for extrication. If anyone has compiled specs on the dewalt and Milwaukee saws, could you pass the info my way. I would appreciate it. Looking forward to new info...

[This message has been edited by Jaguar911 (edited January 16, 2000).]

rmoore
    Firehouse.com Guest

A Posting From Forum Moderator Ron Moore

The University of Extrication series that is currently running will answer all your questions about reciprocating saws. Part 4, the February edition, will reveal the results of more than a year of real-world endurance testing I've been conducting. Includes 18 volt batteries, the Nomad, Powerhawk's 12 volt battery pack and more.

Part 5 in March will feature the 24 cordless recip saw system from DeWalt. The saw is model number DW 008.

Stay tuned and read on. If you want the inside scoop, email me directly.

Ron Moore
    Plano (TX) Fire Rescue
    (214) 728-6776
    <Rmoore@firehouse.com>

MetalMedic
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

Ok, you talked us into it. We are going to be purchasing a DeWalt 24V reciprocating saw for our crash truck. Now my question is, how do you all suggest we configure it? My initial idea is to put two DC Chargers in the truck (which is attached to shore lines while in the house) and keep a battery in each and none in the saw. On the scene, we install one battery and have the second for a spare if we need more time... and recharge the first one during that time if (heaven forbid) we need even more time (but I doubt we'd have any saw blades left by then!). Has anyone used these saws long enough to know how bad the batteries are for developing the Ni-cad memory problems that flashlights are prone to? Any better suggestions on how to set this thing up for a volunteer department where it may not be used for over a week at a time?

------------------
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

Firekatz04
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

An option for MetalMedic (or anyone else) that might be good to remember... batteries do fail over time. For an extended job (like that multi vehicle job out in the midwest last week), extra blades and extra power (like a small generator with a "120v" system) can come in handy... don't get locked into the "one tool" syndrome. But, I can't WAIT to get MY hands on that little battery job myself!!! ;}

RVFD15
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

Now I know why I started checking out these forums. My Chief asked me to check out the different makes to come up with one to purchase for our rescue. Thanks for the info and keep up the good work!

Hayseed
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

I just put in service a new Dewalt 24V saw for my fire dept. The saw was $299, extra battery was $99. We use Lenox 9" demolition blades. This saw is to be used in ADDITION to our corded sawzall. The Dewalt works great! Battery life is exceptional! We are also trying to decide what to do with charging batteries. Currently we rotate the two batteries in the charger once a week. I think that this is an exceptional tool to use in concert with hydraulic tools.

------------------

MetalMedic
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Our Dewalt 24V saw has arrived. Haven't put it in service yet but it seems to be pretty user friendly. The quick release for saw blades is a nice feature. The adjustment for the saw blade length could have been longer, but with the quick change to a shorter blade, you accomplish the same effect. The trigger control area is a little bit small for a gloved hand to work in but acceptable. The AC Chargers have a reconditioning function you can do manually. Our plan is to keep two batteries in the charger on the truck at all times. We'll wait and see how that works out.

------------------
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

TheQman
    Firehouse.com Guest

I borrowed the DeWalt 24v. recip saw from our local rep. We used it to make cuts on the A, B and C posts. It did well but be prepared for a lot of vibrations. Also watched a DeWalt demonstration cutting a salvaged late 70's model Caddy. They cut through the roof and floor pan. The cut took approx. 30 minutes and several blades (about 15)and 3 battery changes. I am not convinced this is a tool we need to spend $300 plus spare batteries and blades.

MetalMedic
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

Haven't had the need to cut a '70 Caddy in half for a while, I'll be sure to have extra blades and batteries on hand when that time comes. All reciprocating saws will vibrate, that is more the fault of the saw blade action and not the saw. While my first choice to cut A, B, C, etc posts is the C/C cutter or the rescue tool... I think the cordless reciprocating saw is an excellent back-up tool as well as being my first choice for cutting sheet metal. As for blade use, during the demonstration, was soapy water being applied to the blades during the process to reduce friction?

As with anything else in the rescue field, alot of your results are based upon your technique.

------------------
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

Cosch
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have the 24v unit on our Tower trucks (they do the extrications)But we also use an electric saw as well. When we have a pin job we bring both. The reason is because when checking out the 24v in the morning it works great but its not until it is under a load before you know how much battery you realy have left, for that reason we bring the electric saw with us, also you can have 2 people cutting at the same time. Remeber always have a back up if posible it's better to be proactive then reactive that's why we use one of each.

Firekatz04
    Firehouse.com Guest

Well, we just had a "rescue weekend" in our twp. We had a County/State cert/re-cert course for all 5 companies in our twp, using all the twp. equip. We got to "play",er, um, "TRAIN" with everybody elses stuff. Another dept. has the 24v., and 18v. cordless. I wasn't overly impressed with either. The positives outweighed the negatives. Positives: They handled well. You don't have to worry about getting caught in the wire. You CAN work from inside the vehicle better (if need be). Quick change out time on the batteries and blades.
    Negatives: Frequent battery changes (only about 7 minutes of power per batt.) cut A, B, and C (rear) post. Had to change out on the C due to lack of power. Made stress cuts on the A post high and low of bottom hinge for dash roll. Had to change out again. Went through 3 batts. total per side. BIG safety issue... no "power" person or safety person at cord (something we stress).
    On the whole... I liked them, great for the arsenal, BUT, I don't know if I can justify the expense for us.

Thread Information