Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hand Tools

Diesel
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Hand Tools

Although we've been relying on heavy hydraulic tools for many years, we've had a problem identifying an alternative hand operated "spreader" for use on remote scene or if we experience an unexpected hydraulic tool failure. We currently use the Bacho Nike hand operated spreader, but have experienced constant seal problems to the point where we're taking them out of service. What are you currently using as a back-up to your hydraulic spreaders?

MetalMedic
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

Thank goodness we have not had our hydraulic tools fail... but our game plan if this were to happen would be to go to something other than a hand operated spreader. If you train with them, you can accomplish all of the same tasks with a come-a-long, a hi-lift jack and a reciprocating saw along with your standard hand tools. Won't be as fast and won't be as pretty.. but they can get the job done.

------------------
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

resqb
    Firehouse.com Guest

We carry three power sources for our hydraulics on our heavy rescue/pumper:1 electric off Generator. 2 Gas powered. 3 Foot powered. Also we carry two extra 25 foot lengths of hoses for them. If all these fail we carry a port-a-power. After that there's two air chisels, an corded recip saw (and lets not forget if necessary the Partner K-1200{insert Tim Taylor grunt here} ) and the other options offered by Metalmedic.

[This message has been edited by resqb (edited January 18, 2000).]

G Koons
    Firehouse.com Guest

Remember the basics. Before power hydraulic tools there were only hand tools. Any good rescue instructor will teach you to use hand tools before using power tools. A chain come-along,a porta power are good back up tools. When you have a multiple vehicle accident your power tools may be busy and you have to rely on hand tools. Use hand tools during rescue drills.

smitheps
    Firehouse.com Guest

A Scott 2200 or 4500 SCBA mounted air chisel is the best backup that I have found yet. Run the regulator at 125 to 150 psi and keep a few spare bottles handy and you can cut through just about anything if your tool or your power unit fails. Port-a-powers in my experience work well for lite duty work, but I have had too many seals let go for me to trust them when working on an important rescue. As mentioned before, Sip-saws and the good 'ole K-12 will also get the job done pretty quickly if they are in the correct hands. Most importantly, you must train with these alternitaves because they take more skill to use properly than a standard spreader/cutter/combi-tool

Twostix
    Firehouse.com Guest

Having been personally involved with a MVA where someone deployed a K-12 that started a fuel fire and damn near cost two kids their lives, I view with extreme prejudice any attempt to even take the thing off the truck at any accident scene!
    Be Safe, Get Home! twostix

pokeyfd12
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hand tools are an excellent back up to hydraulic or electric rescue tools. My rescue unit learned to use hand tools and everything else that was on the rig when we had a tricky heavy rescue involving a garbage truck. The driver was pinned in the cab behind a steel signpost which was embedded vertically in the cab 6 inches from the driver. Due to the strength of the metal in a garbage truck, it took the biggest tool in the shed to eventually pry the driver out 2 hours into the rescue. Due to this acident we have since purchased and trained on the following tools: an electric impact wrench, battery powered impat wrench, cordless and corded DeWalt sawzalls, a body shop type port-o-power and two chain hoist type come-alongs. We had an air powered sheet metal nibbler and rotary cut off tool already in service and along with a Paratech Airgun, came in handy for a couple of overturned school buses and vans. Anybody have any further ideas on rescue hand tools, I may have a compartment shelf left that needs to be filled. Thanks. Rescue Lt. Kevin C.

Thread Information