Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    RSQLT43
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool airbag expiration

Anyone have any experience with lifting bags being removed from service due to age, even if they are in perfect condition?

We just got word from the allmighty office personnel that we need to send them the manufacture info on our lifting bags, cause they are probably going to have to be replaced due to age, this supposedly originated from a Holmatro rep. we dont even use Holmatro bags, we have Maxi force.

pokeyfd12
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lt., we have had our air bags for many years and have never heard such a thing as removing a bag due to age.

We do have them tested every couple of years however and inspect them twice a year and after every use.

We just had to replace a 20+ year old bag because it had unrepairable damage following a heavy rescue, according to the manufacturer. One of those "it'll cost you more to repair than to replace" statements. However, it's twin also 20+ years old is still in service without a problem.

I say 20+ years because nobody can remember when we purchased them but they've been in service at least 20 years without a problem.

Rescue Lt. Kevin C. (aka Pokey)

raricciuti
    Firehouse.com Guest

First off, are we talking low or high pressure bags? As I understand, they are constructed differently. We had a set of Vetter high pressure airbags for 15+ years, and recently had them tested by a manufacturer's rep at our station. We were looking into possibly replacing them due to age. One bag did fail when tested - we replaced the entire set (they're all the same vintage). BTW, when the rep tested them, he filled them with water (not air) so it didn't rocket off anywhere when it failed. I don't know what the life expectancy is offhand, but the rep recommended testing at least every 10 years.

------------------
    R.A. Ricciuti, Firefighter
    Mt. Lebanon Fire Department
    www.mtlfd.org

Thread Information