Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Doug864
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Question for Ron Moore from the City of Renton Fire Dept, Wa. State

Ron,

Doug McDonald from City of Renton WA. Hope all is well since we last talked in June. I am putting the crews through a modified class using the 4 phases and such. A question was posed as to the best way to access and remove the door on a minivan. Specifically, when the door needs to be pryed out and then the hinges cut etc. We obviously would make it work in the real world but I was looking for any extra thoughts on this subject.

------------------

the rookie
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

Could you please explain to me "what a modified class using the four phases" means?

Thanks
    the rookie

Doug864
    Firehouse.com Guest

By all means. Ron Teaches the U of extrication to our dept every June and there are 4 phases to how he attacks a car for extrication.
    1. Stabilization, pt access, battery access and trunk access.
    2. Total side wall removal
    3. Roof removal
    4. Jack the dash.
    His class is 2 days long, my class is 3 hours long as to provide training to 104 firefighters. That is what I meant by a modified class. Hope this helps.

rmoore
    Firehouse.com Guest

A Posting From Ron Moore, Forum Moderator

Attacking minivan sliding side doors can be a very difficult assignment. In both real-world incidents and training evolutions I have found at least one method to try that has a high degree of success.

We first need to realize that a normally operating sliding side door first moves out as you pull on the handle, then it moves rearward.

Therefore, when forcing a sliding side door on a minivan, attack it at the back edge. Get this edge of the door to move out so it will slide past the side of the van.

With this accomplished, then go to the front edge of the same door. Now force the entire door rearward.

Usually you'll get both front and rear latches to release and the door will start to move. The problem comes when the body of the minivan is bent and twisted and the three sliding arms of the door are not in alignment.

If forcing the door rearward is too time consuming, cut these arms to free the door completely.

I'll put a step-by-step photo story on the University of Extrication section of the firehouse.com website to illustrate this evolution. Stay tuned!

Ron Moore,
    Fire Training Manager
    Plano (TX) Fire Rescue
    214-728-6776
    <Rmoore@firehouse.com>

Doug864
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Thanks for the information Ron, It is very helpfull. I am looking forward to next years class. Take care.

Doug McDonald
    Renton Fire Dept.

Thread Information