CAPTAIN WHO
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Exrication Flip Chart

With the numerous changes in Autos. Air bags From one end to the other. Hybrid electric / Natural Gas drive trains etc.

Is there a quick reference flip chart out there where one can look up a make or model, and get hazard listings / modified procedure notations. Something similar to the Hazmat books we all carry in our rigs.

Any help or direction would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Andy

MetalMedic
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

If there is.. I want one! Whoever makes it could make a fortune by selling subscriptions for annual updates!

------------------
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

Zmag
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Contact your nearest Holmatro Dealer. He has just what you need.

MetalMedic
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

I knew Holmotro offered a good book with information in it (for a price that would require me to put a second mortgage on the house), but when did they come out with a flip chart and how many of my "first born" will I need to sacrifice to buy it?

------------------
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

Resq14
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

Originally posted by MetalMedic:
    ...and how many of my "first born" will I need to sacrifice to buy it?
    hehe

sledgehammer
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

I think it is around $100, but it hasn't been released yet.
    I just checked it on www.holmatro.com it is called "The Resquers Guide To Vehicle Safty Systems". The web sit said that it was 100$ plus 5$ shipping and handling, and that it would be ready in early may.

[This message has been edited by sledgehammer (edited 01-15-2001).]

billy
    Firehouse.com Guest

The Holmatro manual is currently available in book form, retailing for less than $125. Also, another new manual is available: The Airbag Hot Spot Chart. This sells for more $, yet supposedly contains additional info. I think both are good investments, if they're used correctly.

CAPTAIN WHO
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Thanks for the replies. I'll check out the Holmatro book and see if it's what we are looking for. Any other suggestions are appreciated (I mean about the book. I get lots of other suggestions. Some are physically impossible.)

Andy

jducharme
    Firehouse.com Guest

Got the Holmatro book - $100 plus s & h. It is missing the hybrids and rollover protection systems and is good to 2000.
    hope this helps

John DuCharme
    Vadnais Heights Fire, MN

Ron Shaw
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

As a word of caution, do not really on a book when you have an greatest onboard computer sitting on your shoulders.

If its man made there can be errors, best check the capasitor drain down times with that on the NHTSA-DOT web site before you go telling others to make a major investment. One book has lots of discrepencies, to the disadvantage of the responder. If this is the reason for buying the book, you will not be pleased. I was told that the company was going to post corrections on their web site, I have not seen them yet. Perhaps if a few concerned owners were to approach the company it may get done.

I have both books, as a developer and an instructor I value have such a tool. However, the best advise I have offer is visual recongition looking for the tell tail signs and icons indicating supplemental restraint system to the crash vehicle.

Look to see what you have for hazards; SRS & ROPS/RPS. If required, pry before you cut, distance yourself from the airbags, use the 5-10-20 rule of thumb for airbags. As recommended by the airbag manufacturers, automakers and NHTSA-DOT; never, ever try to cut or restrain an airbag system.

This should help you reduce the risk and severity of an injury should an accidental deploy of the airbag system occur.

------------------
    Ron Shaw
    http://www.extrication.com

sledgehammer
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

I agree with mr Shaw. Geting mixed up with what vehicles have in them can be very frustrating. But even if you have a book that tells you exactly where every airbag is and the capacitator drain down times, that is not going to gaurantee your safety. Lets not forget that alot of car comp. offer airbags as an option. So they might be there they might not. If you stick with the basics you are much better off.
    In 1999 every car sold in the U.S. has a driver and passenger side air bag. They are talking about requiring all vehicles to have side impact bags, mabey around 2003. When that happens then we will know what to look for and where.
    Another rool of thumb is- if it is an expensive vehicle then you can bet that airbags are a standard option. You need to look before you cut anyway.
    On an extrication scene doing a good scene size up, maintaining safe distances from possible airbag locations, looking before you cut, and doing an ongoion size up is the best way to keep rescue personel and patients safe.
    If you do see an airbag that has not deployed then you are looking at a loaded
    gun. Treat it with the respect it deserves. If you stay out of its way it cant hurt you.
    I myself look for all the information that I can find. If you need a good place to start go to www.extrication.com. I am not going to brag this site up, it doesent need it. Go there and see for yourself.

[This message has been edited by sledgehammer (edited 02-14-2001).]

Thread Information