Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    bigdaddyfire
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb Looking for data on Personal protective gear for Extracation. What are You wearing?

I am looking for data on what people are using for personal protective clothing on extracation. Our agency will meet industry standard if we can show proof of what that standard is. We are a Hospital based EMS/RESCUE agency. We assist the local FD with extracation but don't actually weild the tools. Our people are however in the vechicles doing treatment, and still need protection. If you have any articles or data Please E-Mail it to bigdaddyfire@firehousemail.com
    or post it on this fourm.
    Thank you
    God Bless and be safe.

------------------
    S.DEREK

[This message has been edited by bigdaddyfire (edited 02-05-2001).]

4iron
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

In addition to fire turnouts,we have issued Lion(Lion Apparel Co.)Ceasefire Stationwear,which meets NFPA 1975 for fire/emergency services.Our Paramedics have the option (because workability in cramped quarters/patient care),to wear turnouts or just their stationwear for extrications.The biggest drawnback of the Lion uniforms,of course is $$$,they're pricey.I'm sure if you contact them,they might have jumpsuits too.Their phone # is 800-421-2926.

Good luck.

Cain
    Firehouse.com Guest

After much debate and research our rescue squad has decided on extrication jumpsuits from American Firewear. They are 9.5 oz Indura Flame Resistant cotton. They have plenty of pockets and some padding on knees and elbows. We will still use full bunker gear if the situation dictates but sometimes it is too bulky and too hot. Hope this adds a little insight to your question.

------------------
    Remember plan "B"

Fire/Rescue43
    Firehouse.com Guest

In our department we may use either our turnout gear or Extrication Jumpsuits (9.5 oz Flame Resistant Cotton), other items required include helmet, eye protection (not the helmet shield), leather or extrication gloves, proper footwear, no sneakers or street shoes, 100% leather boots 6" or higher, steel toe, or structural fire fighting footwear.

The last four are some of the biggest problems and the main causes of injuries, no helmets, poor or missing eye protection (don't forget the patient too!), missing gloves or improper golves (latex while running tools, etc.), and lastly improper footwear, sneakers and extrication don't mix.

Hope this is helps.

philip publicover
    Firehouse.com Guest

BigDaddyFire:

Don't forget about the rest of the rescuer, hands, head, feet and eyes.

Gloves: Because of cost we have chosen a kevlar glove, cut resistant, that has a rubber dip coating that provides a lot of dexterity and grip. It is manufactured by Best and is known as TUFF COAT II.

Helmet: A lightweight unbrimmed helmet such as the Bullard Advent or Cairns Commando would be suitable for extrication and for general EMS situations.

Boots: Ensure steel toed boots with at least an 8 inch height for ankle support. Leather work style boots for your application.

Eyes: Helmet shields are not primary eye protection. Safety glasses will still allow particles to get at the eyes. Choose a high quality google such as A-TAC's or ESS Inter Zone's.

Bunker gear as a minimum if your people will be working in the hot zone and Nomex coveralls otherwise.

I hope this helps.

Philip Publicover, Fire Chief
    District #1 F.D., Blandford, N.S., Canada
    blandfordvfd@hotmail.com

Train Hard, Train Safe

cfr3504
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

In our department, If you are in the car or operating the tools you will be in turnout gear. A rescue (non-brimmed) helmet is fine, with eye-protection (wrap-around glasses or goggles (depends on preferance), and Heavy (preferably stell toe) boots or regular firefighting boots. Firefighting gloves (If you can use them, personally i can't, not enuff dexterity) or other leather gloves, or specialized gloves. Latex only is ok if in the car treating the patient, or latex under leather. If you are near the car but not using tools or inside, we want at least Turn out coat, helmet, eye protection, and heavy long pants and heavy shoes or boots. I wouldn't see a problem with some of the specialized extrication suits, but we don't have the extra money to purchase for the department, and I don't think any of our memebers will incur that expense on their own. There may be a better way, but this is how we do it, at least for now. Hope this helps you!

Litch
    Firehouse.com Guest

I work as a Medic for a hospital based ALS service. We are outfitted with a FF turnout coat and a Cairns Metro fire helmet. Overkill, in my opinion. The coat is too cumbersome and too hot in the summer (I got yelled at big time because I took the liner out) The helmet is too big to wear inside cars. I have been promoting a low profile style of helmet (Cairns Commando, Bullard Advent, or even rock climbing helmets), and brush jackets. My experience (18 years) is that we need scuff and scratch protection more than anything. I bought my own brush pants with Arashield knees and have found them to be very nice when crawling across seats covered with broken glass.
    We are not issued safety glasses or goggles, we just have the faceshield on the helmet. Work boots are part of our uniform. I have my own goggles and I got some of the mechanics style gloves which I have found to be very practical for rescue scenarios - great for those assessments of glass covered patients.

tlfd600
    Firehouse.com Guest

Well my department requires full turnout gear on all car wrecks, it is hot and heavy, but I like the safety. Personally I have brush goggles to put on in addition to my face shield to protect my eyes from glass. Make sure you don't forget about the boots, I destroyed a good pair of fire boots at a car wreck several months back on barbed wire, remember at night it is hard to see all the dangers.

Thread Information