Received two questions asking for clarification of point inlcuded in the Phases of Rescue drill.

Here's the email from a career firefighter in South Carolina;

"I was looking through the selection of Firehouse publications. I find things new every time I read old copies. I would like to know more about the "Phases of Rescue" section on the Battery access and Electrical System shutdown.

I am also not clear on the Shaving Cream part of the section. If you could e-mail me back with a little more detail I would be very thankful."

My Reply-

During Phase One of the Phases of Rescue National Extrication Drill, the battery must be accessed. Both the negative and the hot cables must be shut down by disconecting or double cutting.

The team must get access to the battery as quickly as possible during this timed event. The most efficient teams have their inside rescue pull on the hood release once that patient protection has been completed. The plan is that the hood pops open. If it doesn't, then the next quickest attack is to pry the hood at the rear hinges and quickly cut the hinges. Lift the hood up and forward to access the battery. Plan for both operations. Remember Phase One is a 1:30 second event and you have no time to waste.

The shaving creme was just a suggestion for windshield removal at real-world incidents. Place a thick bead of gillette foamy shaving creme along the inside edge of the glass. Saw the windshield by cutting into this foam line. There will be no glass slivers produced to fall inside to the patient area.

During the Phases drill however, the windshield comes out in Phase Three. Have the patient covered when your time starts and only cut along the dash prior to roof removal. Don't use the shaving creme for the drill but know how it could be used at a real incident under a special circumstance. It really works!

--
Ron Moore
Fire Training Manager
Plano (TX) Fire Rescue
(214) 728-6776