Received this inquiry from a Washington State firefighter-

"Hello and good day! I attended your University of Extrication class last year in Gig Harbor, WA. I have been reading your articles and watching for any more information on the new alternative fuel vehicles. Finding information is challenging and sparce. I am trying to assemble information to disseminate to others in order to handle incidents involving these types of vehicles. We're aggressive and strive to do a quick, thorough job. I am concerned that our lack of good information is going to get someone injured.

Any and all information or other resources you can give me would be greatly appreciated."

Here's my reply-

In the March/April 2001 edition of National Fire & Rescue magazine, my Canadian friend Mark Uttley wrote a great article titled "Alternative Fuel Vehicles and How They'll Affect Rescuers". Included in the article is info on hydrogen-powered vehicles, natural gas or propane-power, electric and hybrid gas/electric vehicles.

The article is not available online at this time however the website URL where it will be posted is http://www.nfrmag.com/current/

Mark can be contacted directly be email at muttley@mnsi.net

Ron Moore
U/E Forum Moderator