j. schmidt
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool Guess what I found!!!

May, 15th my department respond to a mutual aid alarm for and MVA. SUV rear ended a 2001 Toyota Carrolla. The patient had to be extricated from the 4 door car. After extrication we carry a digital camera on the pumper/rescue to take pictures of MVA's for our power point that we use for training. I was looking around scanning the car to see if we missed anything with as far as looking for airbags. The driver side and the passenger side didn't deploy and the vehicle did have front end damage from colliding with another object. The impact was so hard it displace the trunk almost off the whole car. In the trunk I found two handles in the upper corners of the trunk. They were seat releases for the the back seats. Just thought I would share that with all of you.

Hosekey21
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thanks for sharing the info.

------------------
    Just one man's view from the flames.

FIGJAM

A lot of newer cars have back up release methods in them.

Pay particular attention to the boot/trunk area for fuel cap and seat releases, along with others....

Also, not a back up, but some Mercedes Benz vehicles have seats that can be removed totally with just a pull of a quick release lever. Being familiar with design changes can certaibly ensure a quicker extrication.
    Luke

Lightbulb

Good information to remember. Think of this situation...a car which underrides a trailer (tractor/trailer combo.) from the side or rear. Rather than deal with the task of opening doors, remove the patient through the trunk. Simply open the trunk, remove any contents necessary, remove the rear seat and gradually package and remove the pt. via a long spine board. Its an idea that works, yet not the only method.

Forum Member

A very good option for a under-ride.I presume you'll cover this and other options for that scenerio in N.H.?T.C.

Yes, tunneling through the trunk will be practiced, plus lots of heavy lifting and winching. High, low, and new technology air bag systems will be used, along with proper use of cribbing. Some new tools will be available for use. A good opportunity for hand-on with the big rigs, i.e. moxers, buses, tractor trailers!

Thread Information