AFDLT
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Side Resting cars

I'm planning a drill concentrating on vehicles on their side. I'm planning on concentrating on stablization obviously... Anything I should include that I might be forgetting?

Zmag
    Firehouse.com Guest

I have about 50 pictures for you, and if you like I'll let you borrow a set of tools for your class. Send me an email at zmagrescue@aol.com and we'll link up.

Mike

bgfdchick
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

What we have used in our extrication practices and competition is using step-chalks on the upper portion by the A and C posts, and crutches with strappings on the undercarriage. The top of the crutches should be in contact with the frame, not a "cosmetic" component like a bumper. Get the strappings as tight as possible, and make sure you hook the strap at the lowest point from the top of the crutch... otherwise it can kick out. And of course, the straps hook should also hook to the frame, not a bumper (obvious, I know. But trust me, on some cars this aint always easy )

We did this scenario in the part of the parking lot on a slight decline...and the car didn't budge one bit (even with all of us pushing on it...or even climbing on it...not that we'd ever do that in a real situation, of course!!! )

At the most, you may need to rock the car slightly to get the step chalks firmly in place (and then secure further with a rubber mallet, cribbing block, etc.)

You may need to modify your placement of the crutches or straps if you are using airbags or high-lift jacks, since they may kick out from the car if the weight shifts too much. Just something to play around with.

We timed ourselves from the beginning of the scenario to final stabilization. From scene size up, inner/outer circles, and proposed game plan with the IC, to complete stabilization - we completed this task in 5 minutes (with some practice, of course!)

Give it a try - good luck and have fun!!

------------------
    Whoever said "the last man standing - wins" never asked a chick to play

MembersZone Subscriber

A Posting From Ron Moore, Forum Moderator

If you are training on the challenges of a vehicle on its edge, add this to the drill.

Once stabilized, the scenario is that a person was ejected and is now trapped under the lower door. On the low side, at the point of door contact with the ground, raise the vehicle 8 inches!

It is possible and it is a challenge.
    Ron Moore, Forum Moderator
    www.universityofextrication.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Dear AFDLT,YOUR GETTING ALOT OF GOOD SUGGESTIONS ON STABILIZATION FROM YOUR POST.SO NOT TO TAKE UP TO MUCH OF YOUR TIME,IF I MAY I WOULD LIKE TO RELATE A TRUE STORY ABOUT A CALL I HAD A FEW WEEKS AGO WITH A CAR ON ITS SIDE. I WORK AS A MEDIC IN A CITY THAT BOTH FIRE AND POLICE ESU BOTH RESPOND TO VEHICLE EXTRICATIONS.WE GOT A CALL FOR A LINCOLN TOWN CAR INVOLVED IN A MOTOR VEHICLE ACCIDENT(MVA).WEARRIVED TO FIND THE CAR ON ITS SIDE (DRIVERS SIDE) WITH THE DRIVER TRAPPED,NOT PINNED BUT TRAPPED INSIDE.ALL NEEDED RESOURSES WERE AT THE SCENE(FIRE EMS POLICE) WHEN MY PARTNER AND I APPROACHED THE SCENE THE DRIVER WAS TRYING TO SELF EXTRICATE HIMSELF FROM THE DRIVERS SIDE WINDOW.AS YOU CAN SEE EVERYONE WAS RUNNING AROUND GETTING THEIR HURST TOOL RUNNING TRYING TO BEAT THE OTHER TO THE PUNCH.BOTH AGENCIES WERE ATTACKING THE CAR WITH NO ONE TAKING CHARGE AS INCIDENT COMMANDER (IC) AS THE EXTRICATION WAS GOING ON MY PARTNER AND MYSELF WERE YELLING FOR SOMEONE TO STABILIZE THE CAR.AS OUR REQUESTS WERE FALLING ON DEAD EARS I GRABBED THE FIRE CHIEF AND BEGGED HIM TO DEDICATE SOME OF THE PERSONNEL AT THE SCENE TO STABILIZE.WELL WE FINALLY GOT THE CAR STABILIZED AND THE EXTICATION WAS COMPLETED AND THE Pt. WAS TAKEN TO A TRAUMA CENTER.SO AFTER LISTENING TO MY STORY I WANT TO EMPHAZIE ONE THING,GET THE STABILIZATION DONE FIRST BEFORE THE HURST TOOL IS IN OPS.,IF THIS CAR MOVED 1 INCH THE VICTIM WOULD HAVE DIED. SO GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR DRILL,IF I CAN BE OF ANY HELP E-MAIL ME. MIKE M

Thank you all for your suggestions. I ran this drill last week, and it went very well. Ron, unfortunatlely a lot of the more experienced people in my Dept. were attending a class that night, but I was planning on trying something very similar to what you suggested. Thank you all again.

Thread Information