MembersZone Subscriber

Default Questions (and Answers) About DeWalt Saws in Plano

I have received a lot of questions about how Plano (TX) Fire Rescue set up our operations with the cordless reciprocating saws.

My reply is as follows-

Plano purchased a DeWalt 24v recip saw (#DWK0008)"kit" for each of our 11 engines. An additional kit for each of our 4 ladder trucks and a 15th kit for use by the Training Section is on order.

Our Plano recip saw kit includes;

1- DeWalt 24v recip saw (#DWK0008)
    1- AC charger
    2- 24v batteries
    1- AC/DC converter
    1- black plastic carry case

To standardize ops, we went with Milwaukee blades. We only buy TORCH blades and AX blades. The words are in big letters right on each blade.

The TORCH blades are 6" 10tpi or 14tpi and 9" 10tpi or 14tpi. The AX blades are 6" 5/8tpi and 9" 5/8tpi.

Each company carries 20 blades; four packages of blades, 5 blades in each package. They get one package each of the TORCH, 6" and 9". They get one package each of the AX, 6" and 9".

Blade selection is real easy at an emergency scene. If you have to cut wood, use an AX. Choose long or short length blade. If you have to cut metal, choose between the long or short length TORCH blade. The Ax cuts wood,
    the TORCH cuts metal.

We are a career department. Each morning, the apparatus operator takes the battery off the saw on the rig and places the second, fresh battery in service. The battery left in the station is always left on the charger for the 24 hour period. That way, our cordless batteries are less than 24hrs old. This
    assures us that we have 5 to 5&1/2 minutes of cutting.

During that time, the apparatus operator at a rescue scene can fire up the generator or plug into the onboard inverter and run a line to the saw operator. With the AC/DC converter, you pull the battery off, slide on the converter and you have a corded saw with unlimited run time.

That's how we do it.

Ron Moore
    Fire Training Manager
    Plano (TX) Fire Rescue
    Ron Moore, Forum Moderator
    www.universityofextrication.com

Forum Member

Thanks of the intormation, Ron, that sounds like a real nice set up. My department is currently looking at purchasing a cordless saw to add to our rescue along with our "corded" type. Your post answered some of my questions. Again, thanks.
    "No one ever called the Fire Department for doing something smart..."

MembersZone Subscriber

Does anyone know if Dewalt is going to come out with a 12V (in-vehicle) charger for the 24V system. We are spec'ing out a new rescue-pumper and need to figure out if we need 12V or 110V in the compartment with the charger.

Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

I contacted DeWalt directly at their headquarters in Maryland and asked about the charger. The official reply was "YES, should be available in early 2002."

Ron Moore
    Ron Moore, Forum Moderator
    www.universityofextrication.com

Thread Information