Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Default Need references for VERY basic extrication

I took a class several years ago on basic vehicle extrication (without hurst tools and the like) and the extrication was done with hand tools.

My department has no "jaws of life", or other traditional extrication tools, (port-a-power). We do, however, have a multitude of hand tools, including reciprocating saws, (one of those realy cool DeWalt battery powered ones) hack saws and mechanics tools.

We have no cribbing, yet. But I'm positive that we can handle most basic scenarios.

If you know of any literature that may help me (I'm teaching a class) refresh my memory and perhaps introduce some new techniques, I would be most grateful.

Thanks a bunch.
    "In all of us there are heroes... speak to them and they will come forth."

"In order for us to achieve all that is demanded of us, we must regard ourselves as greater than we are."

"Be excellent to each other."

I own a copy of a video tape titled "EZ EXTRICATION" that is produced by Mosby-Year Book, Inc. 1997. The 35 minute video was developed by Steve Kidd and John Czajkowski. It does a decent job with "basic" extrications without using hydraulic tools. It comes with an instructor guide also. I think it might be just what you are looking for. Check the Mosby webpage to see if it is still available.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

I WOULD LIKE TO SUGGEST THAT YOU LOOK CLOSELY IN INVESTING IN SOME CRIBBING FIRST, WE HAVE USED THE STORE BOUGHT PLASTIC BUT PLAIN OLD TREATED 4 X 4 POSTS FROM LOWE'S CUT UP IN 2 OR 3 FOOT SECTIONS WORK THE BEST. I CAN'T STRESS HOW IMPORTANT PROPER STABILIZATION IS IN YOUR PATIENT'S PROTECTION AND MOST IMPORTANTLY YOURS. AS FOR A TRANING PROGRAM OUR DEPARTMENT USES A PROGRAM PUT OUT BY THE METRO-DADE COUNTY FLA. FIRE DEPARTMENT THE SERIES IS CALLED "THE CAR BUSTERS"

JOHN 15:13

[ 10-10-2001: Message edited by: Capt.Mitch ]

Originally posted by Capt.Mitch:
    <STRONG>AS FOR A TRANING PROGRAM OUR DEPARTMENT USES A PROGRAM PUT OUT BY THE METRO-DADE COUNTY FLA. FIRE DEPARTMENT THE SERIES IS CALLED "THE CAR BUSTERS"

</STRONG>
    Just an FYI, Steve Kidd and John Czajkowski are the authors of the "Car Busters" series. I am not sure if "EZ Extrication" would be a primer or a sequal to that series.. but it does cover a lot of basics in one video.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Forum Member

My department uses several reference books for teaching. If you are looking for a basic and all purpose manual, the IFSTA (International Fire Service Training Association) Extrication manual would give you all of the basics.

Chris Schultz
    Mountain Ambulance Service www.rescue70.org

Thanks guys. I have the car busters series. (my bad for not mentioning so) I was looking for more...hand and mechanich's tools. For instance, I vaguely remember one instructor using a hammer and flat blade screw driver to get through a door. (to the bolt)

I forgot about the IFSTA reference (duh, big red truck).

Will investigate all of the suggestions.
    "In all of us there are heroes... speak to them and they will come forth."

"In order for us to achieve all that is demanded of us, we must regard ourselves as greater than we are."

"Be excellent to each other."

Originally posted by T_man6RFD:

(duh, big red truck).
    I love this guy!!!!
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

Talking

The last extrication class that I took had a contest between hand tools and the hydraulics. The hydraulic tools were stored in the truck in normal carry position and had to be set up, the hand tools just had to be picked up out of the compartment(three tool boxes). The task at hand was a total roof removal. Well, to every ones suprise, the crew using the hand tools finished first. The hand tools are sometimes forgotten about when a dept buys hydraulic tools, but they can be a lifesaver.
    "Where the hell is my medication?

Thread Information